You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jlo

Beginner

• "Jlo" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 5th 2018

Car: Marko weeks auto

Level: 11 [?]

Experience: 1,759

Next Level: 2,074

Friday, January 5th 2018, 7:35pm

I presently drive an Amarok 132kw auto which is a lovely bakkie..Looking to change to a Fortuner. I am 68 years old, retired and love caravanning.

I hope to get between R400000 to R430000 for my Amarok. Based on this which Fortuner do you recommend I get. It must be a auto and preferably a 4 x 4 but not a must. Of course it must be diesel.
Would love to hear from you.
Kind regards,
Jlo

Sent from my SM-T116 using Tapatalk

Garreth G

Professional

Date of registration: Oct 5th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D Isuzu KB320 Frontier

Level: 35 [?]

Experience: 729,814

Next Level: 824,290

Saturday, January 6th 2018, 12:25pm

Jlo, howzit and welcome.

I’m going to tell you that you should consider going without the Fortuner.
I’m talking about the GD 2.8 model. The D4D is okay but it’s the old one.

I’ve driven the new Hilux Auto, it’s really okay for going to work and it drives very well on a test drive. Best thing ever. Until you carry a load or tow something decent. That Auto box seems to have a mind of its own. The gear changes are smooth but it gears up and down at the wrong time. It also hates it when you manually select gears. It just over rides me with my gear choice after a while.

Have a look on 4x4 community. The Revo Hilux guys are also complaining about the Auto.

If I was you and you really want a SUV, wait till middle this year. Isuzu will bringing the MUX suv. They are very very well priced and they have a massive following in Australia.
Isuzu is also well know for reliable motors and they also known to tow well and be very comfortable on the road.

If you not willing to wait I would again look at the Hilux 2.8 man box or the isuzu 3.0 dteq Auto. These two cars probably tow better than the Fortuner at this stage in time.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlo

Beginner

• "Jlo" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 5th 2018

Car: Marko weeks auto

Level: 11 [?]

Experience: 1,759

Next Level: 2,074

Saturday, January 6th 2018, 2:07pm

Thanks for your response. I will take note of what you had to say about the 2.8 auto. Is this a common problem, or did you get a Monday car?
Much appreciated,
Jlo

Garreth G

Professional

Saturday, January 6th 2018, 10:01pm

Quoted

Thanks for your response. I will take note of what you had to say about the 2.8 auto. Is this a common problem, or did you get a Monday car?
Much appreciated,
Jlo

No it seems like a common problem on the Auto box. Sounds like it’s just the kind or way the gearbox is made.

I’ll look for the link on 4x4 community. Seems like a few guys had issues.

Garreth G

Professional

Saturday, January 6th 2018, 10:13pm

Have a read about the Auto box. I hope this helps

Date of registration: Aug 4th 2015

Car: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 3.0L D-4D Auto

Level: 19 [?]

Experience: 22,450

Next Level: 22,851

Sunday, January 7th 2018, 8:43am

Quoted

Have a read about the Auto box. I hope this helps

Hi Gareth

Please reply with a link for this if possible? I did bit of searching and couldn’t find anything.

AmadaXtreme

Commercial Member

Date of registration: Jul 25th 2013

Car: Fortuner d4d 4x4

Level: 41 [?]

Experience: 2,218,287

Next Level: 2,530,022

Monday, January 8th 2018, 11:27am

Morning Jlo,
Just a question, why not the Amarok? I own a previous hape Fortuner and a Amarok which I use for touring. For my application I prefer the Amarok due to the space available, but must add we are normally 4 people touring and the Fortuner is just to small.
AmadaXtreme Suspensions
Diamond Park nr2, 86 Jakaranda Str, Hennopspark, Centurion
S25°51'50.2 E28°09'58.2

Cobus 071 641 7947 cobus@amadaxtreme.co.za

jlouw1949@gmail.com

Unregistered

Monday, January 8th 2018, 9:29pm

Amarok

Hi, I really like my amarok, but i am concerned about the maintenance costs after the service plan. I had a Hilux previously and the service costs seemed a lot less. e.g I believe the cambelt replacement costs R11500? I also concerned about the resale and longevity of the vehicle. Toyota have a proven record for both. I am considering the fact that I will probably have to pay in about R30-R40000 to be able to purchase the 2.8 GD 6 Fortuner auto 4x4 if i am lucky. Your comments will be appreciated. ?(

Date of registration: Aug 4th 2015

Car: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 3.0L D-4D Auto

Level: 19 [?]

Experience: 22,450

Next Level: 22,851

Monday, January 8th 2018, 10:47pm

Quoted

Hi, I really like my amarok, but i am concerned about the maintenance costs after the service plan. I had a Hilux previously and the service costs seemed a lot less. e.g I believe the cambelt replacement costs R11500? I also concerned about the resale and longevity of the vehicle. Toyota have a proven record for both. I am considering the fact that I will probably have to pay in about R30-R40000 to be able to purchase the 2.8 GD 6 Fortuner auto 4x4 if i am lucky. Your comments will be appreciated. ?(

For what it is worth I think the points you make regarding post service plan maintenance costs and upkeep, comparative resale and added reliability are valid. The Amarok may have an edge in terms of some extra space and comfort but there is an additional upfront, as well as in my opinion, long term hidden cost which needs to be considered before deciding between the two. I also owned a S/C Amarok which was certainly pleasant enough to drive but I was shocked to see the trade-in offers when it came time to sell. My trade-in experience with my 1st Fortuner to buy the 2nd was a far more economically satisfying experience and placed me in a position to put down a substantial deposit instead of cover a shortfall. To give a specific example with regards to maintenance, one of our Amarok’s at work had an issue with the dual mass flywheel/ clutch at 118000km. Repairs cost at the time was quoted by VW at R18,500. About a year and a half afterwards my 1st Fortuner clutch needed replacement at around 100000 (My own fault trying to use a 4x2 for 4x4), Toyota quoted around R10000.

No vehicle is perfect but I feel the perceived vs real value ratio the Fortuner offers is generally hard to beat.

observer

Trainee

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2012

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 201,888

Next Level: 242,754

Tuesday, January 9th 2018, 9:07am

I doubt that you will get the trade-in you are estimating so maybe first go and see what they offer and make your decision based on that.
2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD 4x4

2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi

Rate this thread