You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vani

Beginner

• "vani" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 28th 2018

Car: Fortuner 2.4

Level: 3 [?]

Experience: 36

Next Level: 54

Thursday, June 28th 2018, 9:25am

Correct oil for the Fortuner 2.4 GD6 ???

Hello all

I recently purchased a Fortuner 2.4 GD6.
I am always concerned about the correct oil to use for the longevity of the engine.
Toyota Dealers recommend a 10W30 just by looking up your registration on their system. My local Toyota dealer also uses this.

The manual says that a 5W30 is preferred.
We dont have particularly cold weather on the KZN South Coast but the engine is rowdy on cold starts currently.
My logic is telling me that a 5W30 will deal better with the cold starts. The (5) will deal better with the cold starts allowing oil to get quickly to components and the (30) property of the oil will take care of normal operating temperatures

My Plan is too use a Castrol Magnatec 5W30.

Does anyone have experience with this? Would appreciate any advice regarding oil for this vehicle.

Garreth G

Professional

Date of registration: Oct 5th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D Isuzu KB320 Frontier

Level: 35 [?]

Experience: 778,695

Next Level: 824,290

Saturday, June 30th 2018, 11:15pm

My D4D ran 150 000km on Castrol 5w30. I’ve now switched 5w40 shell ultra now know as HX8. It’s half the price of the Castrol but seems to keep the motor quieter on hot days and smoother. Oil stays cleaner for longer aswell.
I prefer the Shell

Saltman

Beginner

Date of registration: Jan 7th 2018

Car: 2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 GD-6 4x4 AT

Level: 10 [?]

Experience: 1,139

Next Level: 1,454

Sunday, July 1st 2018, 10:39am

I ran a land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 for 200 000 km on 5W30 without any issues. However I made sure it was a full synthetic. The car had a number of high speed long distance trips to warmer climates (Namibia, Zambia, Botswana etc) and the oil worked well, never used any top up between 12 000 km service intervals.

I now have a Fortuner 2.4GD-6 4x4 Auto and it is due for its first service. My service manual indicates 5W30, so I suspect that is what the dealer will supply.
I confirmed with the workshop that they use 5W30, so not quite sure where the 10W30 they quoted you came from? My engine is still loosening up and so far so good, it has the standard Toyota rattle on start-up, but is very smooth and quiet on the open road.

I am however interested in the 5W40 oil as the car will be travelling to hotter climates and work harder than at present. I will have a look at the HX8 specifications! It sounds good.

vani

Beginner

• "vani" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 28th 2018

Car: Fortuner 2.4

Level: 3 [?]

Experience: 36

Next Level: 54

Sunday, July 1st 2018, 9:15pm

Got an official response from Toyota SA. They concede that the manual says 5W30 is preferred. But say that the South African climate does not warrant 5W30.
Specifically the spec of "5" which is for very cold startups. Hence their choice of 10W30 which is used at most toyota dealerships in KZN. I have not checked any other province.
My conspiracy theory is that Toyota is taking the cheaper option here because the climate supports it. 10W30 should be fine in our climate based on temperatures.
I still would prefer the 5W30 as "5" makes more sense for cold startups. My layman research tells me that a 5W30 oil will flow faster on cold startup even if the temperature is not -18 degrees Celsius. The engine is a little rowdy on cold starts and does smooth out as the engine warms up.
Remembering that the "30" spec in 5W30 is still the same as used in KZN for the warmer conditions of the engine in SA use.
As for 10W40, i suspect that the reason you are experiencing less engine noise in warmer conditions is because that is what a "40" does. it will run thicker in hotter conditions. This 10W40 is possibly better for older engines like the 150 000km quoted. My reading also suggests that thicker oils will increase fuel consumption slightly.
Please correct me if i am wrong

Stylo

Beginner

Date of registration: Jan 4th 2018

Car: 3.0 D4D 4x4

Level: 12 [?]

Experience: 2,118

Next Level: 2,912

Friday, July 13th 2018, 8:10pm

5w40 is fine. A 5w40 at cold start up is still thicker than a 10w30 at operating temp. Im over 200k km and run 5w40

Rate this thread