• "Michaelleroux16" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 4th 2018

Car: 2015 Toyota Fortuner D4D Epic

Level: 2 [?]

Experience: 12

Next Level: 26

Tuesday, December 4th 2018, 10:37am

Hi guys,

Thank you for the opportunity to be part of your group! I am excited to learn what I can from all you experienced Fortuner fanatics!

I bought my first Fortuner a few months ago, it is a 2015 D4D Epic 4x4 model. I have had a great time with it, as a new 4x4’er, it was pretty awesome to learn in such a highly capable vehicle!

I have an issue that I hope some of you could help... I have an issue with my factory battery. It has up and failed on me while running pretty normal. We were out at a restaurant last night and when we got to the Fortuner to get going, it showed me the proverbial middle finger! Luckily I had some leads.

Put it on a tricle charger when I got home and checked it again this morning... sorry to say but she has passed...

Now I have to bed the question; why did it happen? Was it because of Unichip sortware I had installed a week ago? Was it just luck of the draw or is there something more sinister at work?

Finally, what would you recommend as a suitable and reliable replacement battery. Last time my wife went to Battery Centre in N1 City, they sold her a R5k battery (and said it had to be that battery!) for my Ford Ranger. I don’t want to support companies like that but I need a battery nonetheless.

Fortuner is stock standard other than the software. No fridges, second batteries, no camping done with it yet.

I do apologize for the lengthy introduction and moreover apologize if this was not the correct platform for the question. Please help me right if need be.

Thanks ladies and gentlemen, have a fantastic day further!

AJ Venter

Trainee

Date of registration: Apr 29th 2015

Car: Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 221,428

Next Level: 242,754

Tuesday, December 4th 2018, 11:49am

Welcome Welcome Michael !!!!!! I think it was just the time for the battery to die. I would lie to you if I tell you which battery to buy. Luckily there are people on this forum that will give you the best answer.
:beer: :beer:

JPC

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 18th 2016

Car: Fortuner 3.0 D4-D4x4

Level: 28 [?]

Experience: 180,599

Next Level: 195,661

Tuesday, December 4th 2018, 2:54pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for the opportunity to be part of your group! I am excited to learn what I can from all you experienced Fortuner fanatics!

I bought my first Fortuner a few months ago, it is a 2015 D4D Epic 4x4 model. I have had a great time with it, as a new 4x4’er, it was pretty awesome to learn in such a highly capable vehicle!

I have an issue that I hope some of you could help... I have an issue with my factory battery. It has up and failed on me while running pretty normal. We were out at a restaurant last night and when we got to the Fortuner to get going, it showed me the proverbial middle finger! Luckily I had some leads.

Put it on a tricle charger when I got home and checked it again this morning... sorry to say but she has passed...

Now I have to bed the question; why did it happen? Was it because of Unichip sortware I had installed a week ago? Was it just luck of the draw or is there something more sinister at work?

Finally, what would you recommend as a suitable and reliable replacement battery. Last time my wife went to Battery Centre in N1 City, they sold her a R5k battery (and said it had to be that battery!) for my Ford Ranger. I don’t want to support companies like that but I need a battery nonetheless.

Fortuner is stock standard other than the software. No fridges, second batteries, no camping done with it yet.

I do apologize for the lengthy introduction and moreover apologize if this was not the correct platform for the question. Please help me right if need be.

Thanks ladies and gentlemen, have a fantastic day further!
Welcome to the board Michael, awesome vehicle that you bought!! :beer:

the battery could've failed because of age, if you have a tacking device fitted, this could also cause the battery to go sooner than it should.

unfortunately i don't have advise on batteries, but R5k is ridiculous to pay for a battery.

good luck and enjoy your Fortuner,.

P.S. let us know what battery you fitted, price and where.......sharing is caring...... :popcorn:
His:
'14 Ford Ranger 2.2 Double Cab............ :whistling:
'09 Honda Varadero 1000

Hers:
'12 Fortuner 3.0 D4-D 4x4 MAN

Erik

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jan 14th 2015

Car: 2007 3.0 Fortuner

Level: 30 [?]

Experience: 244,728

Next Level: 300,073

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 8:55am

I fitted a normal Willards battery from Supa Quick. It came with a 25 month warrantee (which I did use on another battery once, and was replaced no questions asked) and I think I paid around R1800 for it.

The 25 month was the longest warrantee I could get from all the shops in Rustenburg.

Froll

Beginner

Date of registration: Aug 26th 2018

Car: 2010 4.0 L V6 4x4 Fortuner

Level: 10 [?]

Experience: 1,222

Next Level: 1,454

Saturday, December 8th 2018, 8:26pm

Welcome Michael, when I got home last night from work I went to take the Fortuner out of the garage to go to town this morning. I only go to town once a month as we live 120 km from town. the battery was also half dead.I jump started it and left it till this morning. I had to jump start it again and drove to town with the battery still in, no problem. I replaced the battery with a willard 668, there was a sabat 668 in. I paid R1550 for the new battery at Tren tyres. I dont know how old the sabat was as I bought the Fortuner in March this year.We only use willard batteries on the farm and get good service out of them.