You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "David Griesel" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 26th 2016

Car: Fortuner (2017)

Level: 25 [?]

Experience: 81,944

Next Level: 100,000

Friday, May 19th 2017, 9:46am

Bridgestone Dueller versus Dunlop Grandtrek

Hello, took delivery of my new Fortuner last week. Was rather dismayed to discover that they are issued with Dunlop Grandtrek tyres rather than the Duellers that were on the previous Fortuners.

Any thoughts on why this may have been done and the quality of the Dunlop Grandtrek?

Garreth G

Professional

Date of registration: Oct 5th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D Isuzu KB320 Frontier

Level: 37 [?]

Experience: 1,041,923

Next Level: 1,209,937

Saturday, May 20th 2017, 10:50pm

Maybe price was a factor ? As the Dunlops are a cheaper tyre over the Duellers.

The new Duellers are different to the ones we got on the D4D models. Seeing that the new Duellers are a only on the market for a short time maybe stock was a problem. That's why you maybe got something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monday, July 10th 2017, 9:15am

Gautengers will know that on Saturday we had a gentle drizzle. Just enough to dampen the roads. Well, that drizzle proved one thing for certain. Dunlop Grandtrek are terribly poor in the damp. In fact, downright dangerous. At speeds less than 40km/h one could feel the back stepping out. Accelerate just a touch on the aggressive side away from a stop street and the car was twitching all over the place as the tyres battled to find traction.

I believe Toyota have short changed us with these Dunlop Grandtrek tyres.

Garreth G

Professional

Date of registration: Oct 5th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D Isuzu KB320 Frontier

Level: 37 [?]

Experience: 1,041,923

Next Level: 1,209,937

Monday, July 10th 2017, 10:47am

Quoted

Gautengers will know that on Saturday we had a gentle drizzle. Just enough to dampen the roads. Well, that drizzle proved one thing for certain. Dunlop Grandtrek are terribly poor in the damp. In fact, downright dangerous. At speeds less than 40km/h one could feel the back stepping out. Accelerate just a touch on the aggressive side away from a stop street and the car was twitching all over the place as the tyres battled to find traction.

I believe Toyota have short changed us with these Dunlop Grandtrek tyres.

Yip, and watch out for braking normal at stop streets and robots. A Fortuner on Saturday was driving next to me after I done my wheel alignment. We had been traveling the same speed about and slowed down for a robot across clearwater mall.

We started slowing down and before I came to a stop the new Fortuner locked up and slid across the intersection.
So I agree Toyota have definitely made a bad choice.

My FT had Bf muds on. I was still more than fine. The Fortuner guy was rather uncomfortable behind the wheel when I got him at the next robot.

Scary stuff.....

I also seen not all the new models have Dunlop's on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jan 14th 2015

Car: 2007 3.0 Fortuner

Level: 30 [?]

Experience: 283,239

Next Level: 300,073

Tuesday, July 11th 2017, 10:15am

Dunlop = dan loop hy hier, dan loop hy daar. :rofl:

PRA

Intermediate

Date of registration: Dec 19th 2012

Car: Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 36 [?]

Experience: 897,576

Next Level: 1,000,000

Wednesday, July 12th 2017, 6:57am

Dunlop = dan loop hy hier, dan loop hy daar. :rofl:

He he he ....

Rooster

Trainee

Date of registration: Jul 29th 2016

Car: Fortuner V6 4L Auto

Experience: 92,956

Friday, July 14th 2017, 3:38pm

The only Dueller I would fit is the 694 - these are regarded as a all terrain tyre whereas the 693 sold to many uninformed clients is a "highway" tyre and will fail on most grade 3 trails...

A while ago I could not source the 694's and purchased a set of BF All Terrains - this is a true all terrain tyre and after having them on my Hilux and Jeep Wrangler with proven reliability (from the tyre not the Jeep...haha) I opted for BF's on the Fortuner and at first I was hesitant thinking that there might be some road noise, but to date (10 000km later) I had no road noise, excellent handling and great breaking.

They are pricey, but as stated above - your life depends on a good set of tyres :thumbsup:

Wednesday, September 12th 2018, 1:48pm

After the rain we had on 7 September 2018 up here in Gauteng, I can honestly say that the Grantrek's fitted to the new Fortuner have to be the worst tyre I have ever had on any of the 4x4's I have owned. They are downright dangerous. Yes, I know it was wet, but when it was wet and I had Pirelli, Continental, General, BF Goodrich, Wrangler or Bridgestone on my car, never ever did I feel that unsafe. Simply pulling away at robots, no faster than the other cars, led to slipping tyres. Gentle curves at low speeds would see the back step out. As soon as I can, I am replacing them.

Rate this thread