• "bennna" started this thread

Date of registration: Nov 17th 2017

Car: toyota fortuner

Level: 8 [?]

Experience: 555

Next Level: 674

Tuesday, November 21st 2017, 10:55pm

whining sound

My fortuner all of a sudden developed a humming sound which I was sure to come from the turbo. I made ab appointment at turboworks and drove from Krugersdorp to Pretoria. When I got there the sound was gone and still is. I am worried because Toyota told me it was definitly the turbo and quoted me R28000 to replace it . My car is a 2006 model with only 120000km. on the clock.I use it only when I tow my caravan and it is sometimes not driven for weeks. However the sound is gone and Turboworks coouldnt even make a doagnosis as there seems to be no problem. Can somebody perhaps explain this ?

JPC

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 18th 2016

Car: Fortuner 3.0 D4-D4x4

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 220,810

Next Level: 242,754

Wednesday, November 22nd 2017, 11:16am

My fortuner all of a sudden developed a humming sound which I was sure to come from the turbo. I made ab appointment at turboworks and drove from Krugersdorp to Pretoria. When I got there the sound was gone and still is. I am worried because Toyota told me it was definitly the turbo and quoted me R28000 to replace it . My car is a 2006 model with only 120000km. on the clock.I use it only when I tow my caravan and it is sometimes not driven for weeks. However the sound is gone and Turboworks coouldnt even make a doagnosis as there seems to be no problem. Can somebody perhaps explain this ?
can't explain it, sorry, but can tell you that you can purchase an aftermarket Turbo for much cheaper. My dad's VW TDi blew the turbo, VWSA wanted R36k for a new turbo, we searched around and bought a new Turbo for R11k!! Same turbo as what VWSA would've supplied..... X(
His:
'14 Ford Ranger 2.2 Double Cab............ :whistling:
'09 Honda Varadero 1000

Hers:
'12 Fortuner 3.0 D4-D 4x4 MAN

Loafer

Beginner

Date of registration: Aug 16th 2018

Car: Fortuner D4D 4X4 A/T

Level: 13 [?]

Experience: 3,390

Next Level: 4,033

Saturday, August 25th 2018, 1:16pm

You say your car is sometimes not driven for weeks. I treated a turbo diesel double cab of mine exactly that way and it gave me untold trouble, until I started using it twice a week, and all the nonsense ended.