You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bennna

Beginner

• "bennna" started this thread

Date of registration: Nov 17th 2017

Car: toyota fortuner

Level: 8 [?]

Experience: 639

Next Level: 674

Tuesday, November 21st 2017, 10:55pm

whining sound

My fortuner all of a sudden developed a humming sound which I was sure to come from the turbo. I made ab appointment at turboworks and drove from Krugersdorp to Pretoria. When I got there the sound was gone and still is. I am worried because Toyota told me it was definitly the turbo and quoted me R28000 to replace it . My car is a 2006 model with only 120000km. on the clock.I use it only when I tow my caravan and it is sometimes not driven for weeks. However the sound is gone and Turboworks coouldnt even make a doagnosis as there seems to be no problem. Can somebody perhaps explain this ?

JPC

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 18th 2016

Car: Fortuner 3.0 D4-D4x4

Level: 30 [?]

Experience: 243,321

Next Level: 300,073

Wednesday, November 22nd 2017, 11:16am

My fortuner all of a sudden developed a humming sound which I was sure to come from the turbo. I made ab appointment at turboworks and drove from Krugersdorp to Pretoria. When I got there the sound was gone and still is. I am worried because Toyota told me it was definitly the turbo and quoted me R28000 to replace it . My car is a 2006 model with only 120000km. on the clock.I use it only when I tow my caravan and it is sometimes not driven for weeks. However the sound is gone and Turboworks coouldnt even make a doagnosis as there seems to be no problem. Can somebody perhaps explain this ?
can't explain it, sorry, but can tell you that you can purchase an aftermarket Turbo for much cheaper. My dad's VW TDi blew the turbo, VWSA wanted R36k for a new turbo, we searched around and bought a new Turbo for R11k!! Same turbo as what VWSA would've supplied..... X(
His:
'14 Ford Ranger 2.2 Double Cab............ :whistling:
'09 Honda Varadero 1000

Hers:
'12 Fortuner 3.0 D4-D 4x4 MAN

Loafer

Beginner

Date of registration: Aug 16th 2018

Car: Fortuner D4D 4X4 A/T

Level: 14 [?]

Experience: 4,401

Next Level: 5,517

Saturday, August 25th 2018, 1:16pm

You say your car is sometimes not driven for weeks. I treated a turbo diesel double cab of mine exactly that way and it gave me untold trouble, until I started using it twice a week, and all the nonsense ended.