You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

observer

Trainee

• "observer" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2012

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 235,208

Next Level: 242,754

Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 1:50pm

Fortuner 2.8 GD6 OBD TPMS

Hi,

Recently bought a OBD TPMS from Alibaba for $30 Shipping was $25 but only because it was 5 day delivery so can probably get away much cheaper if you do not mind waiting a couple of weeks via normal post and/or ordering more than one unit.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...10853e5fpWsvzF

Pretty sure it will work on the 2.8 GD6 Hilux as well...

I was very sceptical that it would actually work but decided to try in anyway as I did not like the normal TPMS systems available. Having to reprogram or swop sensors when you swop tyres, flat sensor batteries x 4, theft of external sensors, bulky display for tyre pressures that need a power source etc so gave this unit a go etc etc.

Surprisingly it actually looks very decent and works as promised. Quality is also fine. Drove around for a couple of km after setting it without any false alarms etc. I then deflated one tyre from 2.1 to 1.5 and it picked it up in +- 1.3km.

Fitment is a 2min job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqxjgawF7E
No cutting of wires etc, just plug and play.

Changed the green tyre indicators to blue and it matches the blue lights of the Fortuner while still turning red when a flat is detected.

Next test will be on a gravel road, 2WD and 4WD, to see what it does as there will most likely be some slippage on the tyres that could affect the accuracy of the unit as it uses ABS/tyre rotation data from the ECU. Who knows, maybe the algorithm/data used as well as the distance used to detect a flat will prevent false alarms. I drive on tar 95% of the time so not really a deal breaker to me but might be for some more regular gravel road travellers that are looking for a TPMS system

Not sure when I will be able to do some gravel roads but will report back when I have.

I suspect the biggest question is if this unit will work on the older 3.0 D4D Fortuner/Hilux
2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 iMT

2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "observer" (Aug 8th 2018, 2:06pm)