You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wudup

Trainee

• "wudup" started this thread

Date of registration: Jul 7th 2013

Car: Fortuner 4x4 v6 auto

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 203,107

Next Level: 242,754

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 10:31am

English vs Afrikaans

Let me begin by wishing everyone a happy new year(social norm :lol: ).Cant wait for get togethers and possibly conquer Moegatle :pillepalle: ).Just wanted to raise an issue that has been on my mind for some time now.Thing is I know we have 11 official languages so It make sense that we gonna have different languages on sites like this.Problem for some of us who dont speak or even understand afrikaans.So when ever a thread is in afrikaans we cant even participate in it.Me and guys like PJC if you notice we hardly ever comment on these threads.A thread may start in english and before long its in afrikaans.Im not complaining but Im just saying I wont be able to interact wich then makes it pointless for me being on the site.Ive learned alot from you guys and hope to learn even more.I love that as fortuner fanatics we interact and advice each other wich increases our love for this amazing car.Sorry for going on but its something that has been on my mind.Its not my aim to offend anyone for communicating in their language.Think about it this way how it would make you feel if I post something in Sepedi and couple of other ppl respond in this language and every single thread.As someone who doesnt understand you would be very frustrated.Just my 2cents.On that note....

Happy new
Wudup- the darkie
:phat:

Alfortuner

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2012

Car: Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4X4 2010

Level: 44 [?]

Experience: 3,771,932

Next Level: 4,297,834

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 10:55am

Wudup, you raise a very valid point. We now have members from other countries as well and the translator is just not up to the task of many of the technical threads.

Forum members, should we propose that at least all technical advise/discussions regarding Fortuners remain in English? The pub and other related forums used for general banter can go on in any language where a discussion is flowing (as long as we remain civilised)

I have left other 4x4 forums due to the disrespect members had for each other. Lets continue to make this forum friendly to all Fortuner lovers.

Tal

Sage

Date of registration: Jun 26th 2013

Car: Fortuna d4d 4x4

Level: 50 [?]

Experience: 10,597,380

Next Level: 11,777,899

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 12:54pm

Ai Darkie, now you come so early in the new year and allready changing everything again! Street names, flags, songs, forum language......
Whahahaha, just joking!!! Hehehe!

I agree with both of you! Lets try and keep the technical stuff english!
Just my thoughts about this matter,

Just the same as you guys not understanding or not posting when afrikaans is used, im just little scared that some afrikaans okes with vital info regarding that topic now wont post because of the fact that theyll have to post in english and dont wanna make a fool out of themselves, for typing or explaining something completely wrong in english
:beer: WHY???? BECAUSE I CAN!!!! :beer:

PJC

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 2nd 2013

Car: 2007 Fortuner

Level: 34 [?]

Experience: 607,591

Next Level: 677,567

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 1:19pm

I am glad it was not me to bring this up again :D But as you all know, this has been a "beef" of mine for a while now. I have agreed within myself to just keep quiet and gather what I can from the threads.
When I really become irritated is when the thread is going along nicely in English and then :minigun: :minigun: :minigun: it switches to Afrikaans!!!!! just when it's really getting good. Yes, the Google translator is there…..I try… But it is very lacking in accuracy and even logical content.
I agree with the above comment, and I understand that it is easier for many of you to converse in your own language. Any amount of help on the part of all will be very much appreciated along this delicate topic. :) :)

Slow

Master

Date of registration: Oct 18th 2013

Car: 2007 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4

Level: 45 [?]

Experience: 4,374,436

Next Level: 5,107,448

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 1:20pm

With all dew respect, I do not agree with the statement that English should dominate any forum.

I am a afrikaans speaking member that lives in the Free State, so my English is not always on international standard, but I try and had to learn to communicate in a language other than my home language.

What if I would prefer to only communicate in Afrikaans?

Please note that I have made this comment in English, as this was the language the post started!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We all LIVE every day, we only DIE once!

PJC

Intermediate

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 1:26pm

Personally, I would rather read bad english then nothing at all. At least I can read your english (by the way, very well written for not being in your our language) If I tried to write in in your language….. :minigun: :chainsaw: ;( ;( you would understand nothing.

Tal

Sage

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 1:27pm

Quoted

Please note that I have made this comment in English, as this was the language the post started!

That is actually forum ethic
A thread should continue in the same language it was started.

So maybe if we can agree to keep to that atleast it will benefit both ways!

PJC

Intermediate

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 1:33pm

Way to Go Wudup, you got the pot stirred up now :lol:

Slow

Master

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 1:41pm

Thanks PJC, the more I practice the luckier I get!

I do agree with Tal, and will gladly translate my posts if it would help any member.

But the trough is, English is the language of the poet, you can use many words to say a simple thing.

Afrikaans is is a war language, you say it shot and simple.

Here is an example, if you tel some one "Ek gaan jou Donner" every one understands.
Try that in English, "I am going to hit you so hard ....."

Get my point?

Love the lively conversation, keep it up!!!

PJC

Intermediate

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 1:52pm

Thanks for the come back Slow. To be very honest, everything I have read in english that members have written on this Forum is FAR FAR better then the translator.
Keep up the good work all and let's not be divided over this issue :thumbsup: just write in ……………… :lol:

Tal

Sage

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 1:56pm

Whahahaha! Sheez laughed now so much my stomach hurts!

Ek gaan jou donner! Hehehe

Fortunator

Administrator

Date of registration: Dec 10th 2012

Car: Unimog aka Unimax

Level: 38 [?]

Experience: 1,323,023

Next Level: 1,460,206

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 10:09pm

Hi Members

Firstly the purpose of this forum is to create a platform for all Fortuner enthusiasts irrespective of language however I also understand that language forms part of ones identity and therefore can be a tricky subject. In light of trying to make this a global forum we need to try and focus on English as the global language without excluding those that find it easier to communicate in another language in this case Afrikaans.

Herewith my thoughts on the matter.

I fear that there is no one solution that will suit all members and it will be a case of compromise from all. I think we all understand that it is easier to communicate and write in your mother language. I also understand the frustration of not being able to read a language you do not understand. I also think that raising this topic shows how interested members are in learning from others and wanting to understand rather than trying to make it difficult for those that write in better in a different language.

I think the immediate issue is that members are not all from SA and therefore do not all understand Afrikaans. I also think it is fair to say that members have shown respect to those whose English is not fantastic. I for one struggle with languages in general, while others were reading I was either playing sport or trying to ride anything that had wheels. I have been happy to post and interact on this forum without a worrying about how bad or good my English is.

I think for now lets try the following with the intention of making this a more global forum.

1. If a thread starts in a language lets please try and stick to that language. In the case that a members changes the language because they are not able to contribute otherwise, we ask the next member to please return back to language that the thread started on.
  2. Alfortuner suggestion sounds fair and is not something that will be enforced or policed but is more of a friendly request to those that are able to post in both languages, to post in English especially as the technical side is very interesting and something that is hard to Google translate.
Robert Bernatzeder
Marketing Director

Tel: +27 (0)87 057 4775
Cell: +27 (0)72 488 9411

Tal

Sage

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 10:25pm

+1

Also if any post is unclear, please ask! Im sure no one will hesitate to try and translate or explain more clearly!

FoX

Sage

Date of registration: Mar 6th 2013

Car: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6

Experience: 11,495,299

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 6:44am

Hi Members

Firstly the purpose of this forum is to create a platform for all Fortuner enthusiasts irrespective of language however I also understand that language forms part of ones identity and therefore can be a tricky subject. In light of trying to make this a global forum we need to try and focus on English as the global language without excluding those that find it easier to communicate in another language in this case Afrikaans.

Herewith my thoughts on the matter.

I fear that there is no one solution that will suit all members and it will be a case of compromise from all. I think we all understand that it is easier to communicate and write in your mother language. I also understand the frustration of not being able to read a language you do not understand. I also think that raising this topic shows how interested members are in learning from others and wanting to understand rather than trying to make it difficult for those that write in better in a different language.

I think the immediate issue is that members are not all from SA and therefore do not all understand Afrikaans. I also think it is fair to say that members have shown respect to those whose English is not fantastic. I for one struggle with languages in general, while others were reading I was either playing sport or trying to ride anything that had wheels. I have been happy to post and interact on this forum without a worrying about how bad or good my English is.

I think for now lets try the following with the intention of making this a more global forum.

1. If a thread starts in a language lets please try and stick to that language. In the case that a members changes the language because they are not able to contribute otherwise, we ask the next member to please return back to language that the thread started on.
  2. Alfortuner suggestion sounds fair and is not something that will be enforced or policed but is more of a friendly request to those that are able to post in both languages, to post in English especially as the technical side is very interesting and something that is hard to Google translate.

+1, I will try my best lol

Slow

Master

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 8:17am

I support the positive change to English, it just makes more sense especially the technical stuff. In the trade english is generally used, for example we all know what a starter is, but if I talk about a "knormoer" you might think I am rood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FoX

Sage

Date of registration: Mar 6th 2013

Car: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6

Experience: 11,495,299

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 8:39am

I agree with you Slow

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

prawn

Professional

Date of registration: Jul 16th 2013

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4

Level: 40 [?]

Experience: 1,865,159

Next Level: 2,111,327

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 11:48am

tsk tsk.....

Now is that afrikaans or english ?

Everyone has his rights and if the Afrikaans people can post in English why cant the English people post in Afrikaans ???

We as the Afrikaners do meet you somewhere so why dont you compromise a bit ?

I agree on Tech stuff but if i want to ruk die hoender met Grobbies in afrikaans....on any thread hoekom nie ?

Slow

Master

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 11:50am

100%

Chris

Intermediate

Date of registration: May 7th 2013

Car: a

Level: 37 [?]

Experience: 1,100,664

Next Level: 1,209,937

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 12:51pm

tsk tsk.....

Now is that afrikaans or english ?

Everyone has his rights and if the Afrikaans people can post in English why cant the English people post in Afrikaans ???

We as the Afrikaners do meet you somewhere so why dont you compromise a bit ?

I agree on Tech stuff but if i want to ruk die hoender met Grobbies in afrikaans....on any thread hoekom nie ?

I have to agree with Prawn on this it takes me twice as long toe repost in engels tan in Afrikaans,i do veel that the engels speaking guys that life in south afrika can defnitley meet us half way on this topic.We Afrikaans speaking members then better lurn the engels langwish and the engels speaking guys wil get better in Afrikaans.

For ouer internasional geust i can under stand the problem,but like Tal sed urlyer "Also if any post is unclear, please ask! "

Regards Chris
2011 Toyota Fortuner 3l D4D 4x4 a/t :thumbup:
Groete Chris 8)

Slow

Master

Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 1:30pm

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk