You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rorylocal

Beginner

• "rorylocal" started this thread

Date of registration: Mar 27th 2013

Occupation: Wildlife Photographer / Offshore Rigger, RAT Rigger and Deck Foreman

Car: Fortuner 2007 D4D 4x4 - Myrtle

Level: 24 [?]

Experience: 76,055

Next Level: 79,247

Friday, April 13th 2018, 2:03pm

Air Locker / Air Bag

Good day members.

Quick advice.
I have fitted Tough Dog suspension a while ago...and they are great...but when I do long trips we get pretty loaded up ( 2 x 45L Frontrunner water holders, Jerry cans, Beer, etc etc ) and have rear shock sag and have bottomed out the suspension a few times ( think Botswana Savuti road ).

So as there is no leaf spring setup...I have limited options....either fit air bags or go for a LC76.

Had anyone had air bags fitted in their rear shocks...??
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Breekbeen

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jul 6th 2015

Car: '10 Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4

Level: 32 [?]

Experience: 371,695

Next Level: 453,790

Friday, April 13th 2018, 9:27pm

Yes airbags work great.
Lot of people will agree with me on that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
2010 3.0 D4D 4x4
OME, ARB bullbar, SNORKEL, T-Max Winch, African Outback Roof rack,
KC Hilights, Dastec Unichip

rorylocal

Beginner

• "rorylocal" started this thread

Date of registration: Mar 27th 2013

Occupation: Wildlife Photographer / Offshore Rigger, RAT Rigger and Deck Foreman

Car: Fortuner 2007 D4D 4x4 - Myrtle

Level: 24 [?]

Experience: 76,055

Next Level: 79,247

Saturday, April 14th 2018, 8:25am

Thank you.

Appreciate the reply.
Was just worried about adding an accessory that will not sort the issue out!

Grumbles

Beginner

Date of registration: Dec 8th 2013

Car: 2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4

Level: 23 [?]

Experience: 52,773

Next Level: 62,494

Saturday, April 14th 2018, 2:21pm

Yip, Airbags work.

I have full Profender Suspension and Airbags on my 2008. Great for when that extra load is there.
I'm very sorry Witblits... we will mis you! ;( ;(

2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"

AmadaXtreme

Commercial Member

Date of registration: Jul 25th 2013

Car: Fortuner d4d 4x4

Level: 41 [?]

Experience: 2,163,987

Next Level: 2,530,022

Monday, April 16th 2018, 7:29am

Although thr Fortuner and the Hilux share almost the same chassis, there are a few differences on the Fortuner's as they are designed to be more comfortable comparing to the Hilux, but this comes with a small prive to pay when it comes to carrying load, the rear coils are much softer vs the Hilux's leaf springs.
However we do a HD rear coil to increase your rear load ability with an extra 150kg. Basically designed to carry 50kg extra fuel and a trailer/caravan 100kg on the ball..... the moment you go harder than 150kg.... you will have trhe comfort of a single cab cruiser without load.

There are two options of airbags for the Fortuner,
First time are the in-coil type - I have these in my Fortuner, they can be inflated to 2.5bar and will level the Fortuner when under load.... these airbags will not raise the vehicle. Most important factor with these are nevere run them without pressure as the airbags will pinch between the coil springs - min pressure of 0.3bar
Second option is the Heavy Duty Air bags - these replace your bump stops and can in inflated to 7bar - they are extremely strong and will raise the Fortuner, if you play a bit with the air plumbing you can even use them to level your vehicle with a roof top tent....
If you going to load and tow heavy.... go for the HD airbags.... if you dont tow the in-coil type is sufficient,
AmadaXtreme Suspensions
Diamond Park nr2, 86 Jakaranda Str, Hennopspark, Centurion
S25°51'50.2 E28°09'58.2

Cobus 071 641 7947 cobus@amadaxtreme.co.za

Garreth G

Professional

Date of registration: Oct 5th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D Isuzu KB320 Frontier

Level: 35 [?]

Experience: 706,908

Next Level: 824,290

Monday, April 16th 2018, 2:46pm

Quoted

Although thr Fortuner and the Hilux share almost the same chassis, there are a few differences on the Fortuner's as they are designed to be more comfortable comparing to the Hilux, but this comes with a small prive to pay when it comes to carrying load, the rear coils are much softer vs the Hilux's leaf springs.
However we do a HD rear coil to increase your rear load ability with an extra 150kg. Basically designed to carry 50kg extra fuel and a trailer/caravan 100kg on the ball..... the moment you go harder than 150kg.... you will have trhe comfort of a single cab cruiser without load.

There are two options of airbags for the Fortuner,
First time are the in-coil type - I have these in my Fortuner, they can be inflated to 2.5bar and will level the Fortuner when under load.... these airbags will not raise the vehicle. Most important factor with these are nevere run them without pressure as the airbags will pinch between the coil springs - min pressure of 0.3bar
Second option is the Heavy Duty Air bags - these replace your bump stops and can in inflated to 7bar - they are extremely strong and will raise the Fortuner, if you play a bit with the air plumbing you can even use them to level your vehicle with a roof top tent....
If you going to load and tow heavy.... go for the HD airbags.... if you dont tow the in-coil type is sufficient,

Cobus, do any of these effect my articulation?
Can a guys like myself that uses the car for heavy Offroad still have airbags installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmadaXtreme

Commercial Member

Date of registration: Jul 25th 2013

Car: Fortuner d4d 4x4

Level: 41 [?]

Experience: 2,163,987

Next Level: 2,530,022

Tuesday, April 17th 2018, 7:34am

Garreth, there will be a small loss in articulation, but its very small - We install one valve to inflate both airbags, this helps allot with the articulation as the air is moved from the one air bag to the other during articulation, and still keep the flex. However should you install separate valves, one for each airbags the suspension do become stiff.
AmadaXtreme Suspensions
Diamond Park nr2, 86 Jakaranda Str, Hennopspark, Centurion
S25°51'50.2 E28°09'58.2

Cobus 071 641 7947 cobus@amadaxtreme.co.za

Rate this thread