Date of registration: Apr 22nd 2018

Car: Fortuner

Level: 6 [?]

Experience: 237

Next Level: 282

Sunday, April 22nd 2018, 3:27pm

New Fortuner roof rack

Hi guys, I am looking for advice
I had enough of towing off-road trailers and caravans and are thinking about rigging our 2017 Fortuner for our camping trips.
First thing I will need is a roof rack and this is where the trouble start....
I do not want to carry a roof rack on the car for the "other" 99,9% of the time, and from experience on my older Fortuners I had, I know how difficult it is to bolt the Frontrunner rack loose AND how hideosly ugly the Fortuner then look without its standard roof rails.
So what I am looking for is a rack that "clamp" on the existing rails of the new Tuna that I can remove when not used
On the net I saw Rhino Rack in Australia do exactly that.....
Is there something similar available in South Africa?
Any feedback will be appreciated

Robk

Beginner

Date of registration: Jan 4th 2018

Car: Toyota Fortuner V6 2017

Level: 13 [?]

Experience: 3,108

Next Level: 4,033

Sunday, April 22nd 2018, 6:26pm

I also have a 2017 Fortuner with the same requirements. The clamp on option restricts your load capacity to about a third of what a bolt on does, but the bolt on needs to be fitted from the inside by removing the ceiling. I found the Eezi Awn option was the best compromise as it leaves a rail of about 30x20mm behind after removing the main rack and you can fit normal load bars to these if want that option. Had it fitted last week and costs R8600 installed they need 5 hours to fit it.

Garreth G

Professional

Date of registration: Oct 5th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D Isuzu KB320 Frontier

Level: 36 [?]

Experience: 897,871

Next Level: 1,000,000

Sunday, April 22nd 2018, 9:26pm

Unfortunately if you looking at clamp on style roofracks then it will restrict your load carrying capacity. Best is still to fit a front runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robk

Beginner

Date of registration: Jan 4th 2018

Car: Toyota Fortuner V6 2017

Level: 13 [?]

Experience: 3,108

Next Level: 4,033

Monday, April 23rd 2018, 7:23am

Unfortunately if you looking at clamp on style roofracks then it will restrict your load carrying capacity. Best is still to fit a front runner.

The Front Runner is a great roof rack but it's not so easy to remove when fitted to the new shape as you have to remove the ceiling. The Eezi Awn system is way easier, but I'm sure the clever chaps at Front Runner will address this issue in due course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD

Unregistered

Saturday, November 24th 2018, 10:31am

RRT installation

I'm in the same predicament. I want to install my existing RTT Easiawn onto the new Fortuner.
I find the best way to do this is to install a roof track. Then mount the tent on load bars.
Front runner used to do this installation.However they point blank refuse to do this anymore.I suppose they want to push sales on their new installation slimline11 roof racks.
Try Big country cost R4700 for the tracks and installation. This is expensive though. I wonder if there are cheaper installers out there.