You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

observer

Trainee

• "observer" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2012

Level: 27 [?]

Experience: 155,545

Next Level: 157,092

Wednesday, October 4th 2017, 3:20pm

JBL BassPro SL8

Hi All.

Recently installed a JBL BassPro SL8 underseat 8" sub in my Fortuner so I thought I would share my impressions so far.

In my opinion the standard sound system is horrid as it lacks bass and the dynamic volume control performed by the radio is sh!t to say the least :( Unfortunately I cannot do anything about the dynamic volume control issue as that would require a new head unit but I could try and address the lack of bass.

First of all, the idea was not to have a boombox on wheels but only to add some bass. An under seat sub will NEVER give you the bass that a proper enclosed sub gives so do not expect door rattling bass.

As I did not want to use any boot space I started looking at under seat subs and it came down to the following units:
- JBL BassPro SL8: 250(W) x 344(L) x (71)H. Price +-R2 500
- Kenwood KSC SW11: 190(W) x 280(L) x 70(H). Price +-R1 700
- Kicker 11HS8 Hideaway: 238(W) x 352(L) x 79(H). Price >R5 000

You get several cheaper units but I wanted a brand name that I could trust.
I'm not going into RMS ratings/max power etc as I find these figures usually do not give an accurate indication of performance :D

The reasons I decided to go for the JBL:
- Size wise it is a perfect fit for the Fortuner. The edges that are cut away on the one end make it fit like a glove!
- Reviews were mostly good
- Kicker is too high and expensive :P
- Kenwood also received good reviews but it has a 200mm x 120mm sub instead of a round 200mm sub and its enclosure seems very small so I'm not sure it could match the JBL

Installed the unit myself but had to ask an expert to show me the OEM radio wires to link into the high-input of the JBL ;) Strangely enough the Audio-Sense function did not work and I had to install a remote wire....not really an issue as the radio was out so just joined it with the ignition input on the radio.

I found tuning the unit extremely tricky as the stupid OEM radio's dynamic volume control creates a lot of bass low down in the volume range and takes a lot away higher up.
Even with the vast array of tuning options available on the JBL you will not be able to explore its full potential otherwise you will be stuck with too much bass low down in the volume range :dash:

In the end I managed to find a balance that is acceptable to me but it annoys me that I cannot use its full potential.
All in all I'm happy with the results so can recommend it to anyone who wants to add a bit more bass!

2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD 4x4

2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "observer" (Oct 4th 2017, 3:27pm)

Mahesh

Beginner

Date of registration: Jul 26th 2017

Car: Fortune 2.8 4x4

Level: 10 [?]

Experience: 1,211

Next Level: 1,454

Friday, October 6th 2017, 12:22am

Hey guys. I've just removed the 4 door speakers and replaced with JBL GT7-6. Did the job myself. Took about 3hrs to complete. Shocking the quality of the oem speakers. Tiny magnet and paper cone. Stripped the cone and plastic supports to just leave the cylinder spacer and original plug connectors. Soldered the new wires to the inside of the oem connectors with QCs going to the jbl. No amplifiers. The sound improvement? Fantastic. No boom box but decent vibrations on everything with mids and treble. Kept oem tweeters.
Total cost R1198 for 2 sets JBL from Govan Mani. I'm impressed

AJ Venter

Trainee

Date of registration: Apr 29th 2015

Car: Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 24 [?]

Experience: 73,357

Next Level: 79,247

Friday, October 6th 2017, 10:34am

Well done Gents

observer

Trainee

• "observer" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2012

Level: 27 [?]

Experience: 155,545

Next Level: 157,092

Friday, October 6th 2017, 11:26am

I see you also get the Hertz direct replacement 6.5" and tweeter replacements for the Toyota. Around R3k but fits 100% without any cutting, soldering etc
I'm however of the opinion that the head unit is a bigger problem as the crap dynamic volume control will still be there......
2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD 4x4

2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi

Rate this thread