You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

deryck

Beginner

• "deryck" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 11th 2014

Car: Fortuner V6 Automatic

Level: 20 [?]

Experience: 29,275

Next Level: 29,658

Saturday, October 28th 2017, 3:34pm

Towing Automatic Fortuner

I have been told that to tow an automatic you need to disconnect the prop shaft. How do you go about this? Do you disconnect both back and front?
Any info on this would be helpful. One hopes that you don't need to be towed but need the info just in case.
?(
Had a recent experience in CKGR where my alternator packed up (brushes got clogged with mud). Toyota Maun sent a low-bed trailer to fetch us but had to abandon the trailer as they could not get through the heavy sand. They swapped batteries so that I could drive to Maun (with no lights at night!!!) so luckily did not need to be towed.

Garreth G

Professional

Date of registration: Oct 5th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D Isuzu KB320 Frontier

Level: 36 [?]

Experience: 896,900

Next Level: 1,000,000

Monday, October 30th 2017, 11:03am

You do have the option on the Auto gearbox to select N this should disconnect the system. But just check you owners book. I do know that it has a distance and speed limit.

2nd best if you don’t have a flat bed to help.
You can disconnect the drive shafts. You will have to do both front and back. On the diff side make a marking on the Uni and diff so you fit it back on the same spot you removed it on.

But honestly I would stay clear of towing a Auto. I’ve seen guys damage gearboxes due to the box jumping out of N into D or R.... flatbed is the way to me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJC

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 2nd 2013

Car: 2007 Fortuner

Level: 33 [?]

Experience: 532,894

Next Level: 555,345

Tuesday, October 31st 2017, 5:19pm

Sure fire way will be to remove both drive shafts. This way only the diffs will turn.

deryck

Beginner

• "deryck" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 11th 2014

Car: Fortuner V6 Automatic

Level: 20 [?]

Experience: 29,275

Next Level: 29,658

Thursday, November 2nd 2017, 1:48pm

I have spoken to the local Toyota service manager and he said it's ok to tow the new shape Fortuner for a maximum of 50km and at a maximum speed of 30 km/h. The reason you can tow the new shape, and not the old shape, is that the new Fortuners are not full time FWD. So if back wheel drive only is selected it's ok to tow.

I assume that the speed and distance restriction is to prevent the gearbox overheating. If this was the case could you allow the gearbox oil to cool and then tow for another 50 km?