You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jdeklerk

Beginner

• "jdeklerk" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2016

Car: 2008 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4

Level: 16 [?]

Experience: 8,635

Next Level: 10,000

Monday, October 2nd 2017, 9:09am

Engine light

Good morning members,

I was driving an open stretch of road (tar) at about 120km/h when the engine light suddenly came on. I experienced a sudden loss of power and I pulled to the side of the road. Switched the engine off immediately. After a while I switched it on again and drove further. A few km's later, same thing. Switched off again and after a while switched on and drove further. The light has since not come back on.

What could be the reason for this? What do I need to ask the mechanics to look at when I take it in?

I should probably mention that the car has about 210k on the clock and I have a chip fitted. Also, added a bottle of injector cleaner to a full tank of diesel before I started driving and experiencing the problem.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

AJ Venter

Trainee

Date of registration: Apr 29th 2015

Car: Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 24 [?]

Experience: 73,357

Next Level: 79,247

Monday, October 2nd 2017, 10:30am

I would like to know as well.
Mine did it one day, but I was doing full speed, 150 km uphill and the outside temp was very high.

jdeklerk

Beginner

• "jdeklerk" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2016

Car: 2008 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4

Level: 16 [?]

Experience: 8,635

Next Level: 10,000

Tuesday, October 10th 2017, 1:30pm

Anyone willing to share some thoughts?

observer

Trainee

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2012

Level: 27 [?]

Experience: 155,545

Next Level: 157,092

Tuesday, October 10th 2017, 1:53pm

Oddly enough I also had a similar experience when I added injector cleaner a couple of years ago.

Get Toyota or someone to check the fault codes on the car. On mine it said Huge Fuel leak detected (diesel pump)...IIRC.
Toyota then mentioned that there is a valve in the diesel pump that sometimes gives up the ghost but I had my doubts about this, might just be typical BS talk from the dealer. Anyway, I had no power or consumption issues and problem only occurred again once, a year later.
2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD 4x4

2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi

Rate this thread