You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Offroader2be" started this thread

Date of registration: Sep 17th 2014

Car: Fortuner 3.0d4d 4x4

Level: 19 [?]

Experience: 17,878

Next Level: 22,851

Sunday, March 4th 2018, 10:00pm

Limp mode

Hi Everyone

Wonder if someone can advise me. The Fortuner is a 2011 pre facelidt 4x4 manual 3.0 d4d

There are a lot of speedbumps in my area and every now and then I might go over one a bit fast and the VSC light comes on and forturner has no power. Then down changing the error goes away and the fortuner is fine. On Saturday I hit a pothole ad the VSC light came on and the engine warning light and I believe the fortuner went into limp mode and is still in this state. Ive checked all the connections all over the vehicle and did find one of the connection that's fits on to the turbo not clipped in. After adjusting the clip I got it to clip in.

Question is how do I get it out of Limp mode or do I have to travel 30km/h to my nearest Toyota dealer for them to reset and to run diagnostics ?

Date of registration: Mar 24th 2015

Car: 2010 Fortuner 4x4 3.0D4D

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 209,152

Next Level: 242,754

Monday, March 5th 2018, 12:50pm

As I know the VSC system will detect the vehicle slipping, then reduce engine power and correct slipping with ABS. This might be the cause of power loss when you hit the bump. In saying that..this has never happens to me. Normally the VSC light will come on and it beeps at you until the slip has been corrected. No power loss can be detected.

I once ripped the wheel pickup sensor cable clean off in Botswana. The VSC, ABS and engine light came on. I could however drive normally (no limp mode) and after I joined the cable all lights went off.

The turbo plug could cause the limp mode but it surely should not turn on the VSC light. I thus suspect the wheel pickup sensors or ABS unit. Check all the plugs on these. Remove the wheel sensors and clean.

Search this forum, I think there is a procedure to reset a fault yourself on here.