You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saltman

Beginner

• "Saltman" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 7th 2018

Car: 2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 GD-6 4x4 AT

Level: 12 [?]

Experience: 2,267

Next Level: 2,912

Sunday, July 1st 2018, 11:16am

New Shape 2018 Fortuner - 2.4 GD-6 4x4 Auto - Suspension options?

Hi Everyone
So I invested in a 2018 Fortuner 2.4 GD-6 4x4 Auto as that is as far as my finances could reach. Children at university takes its toll! (yes, plural, 2 of them with a third on its way to varsity, so cash flow is limited).

Generally happy with the vehicle, but the suspension sucks!
When lightly loaded, it jumps over speedhumps, indicating that the suspension is too hard, with little give.
However, when I hook up a trailer, the tail sags and I find the suspension too soft.
In addition I find the car too low, did one 4x4 trail to test out all the settings and knobs etc, and came back with a scratched bumper (underneath) and I knocked the radius arm mounting bracket.

So in my opinion Toyota got it wrong on all counts!
I had a Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 DC that ran a medium duty OME setup in the front and a OME heavy duty setup in the rear, and that worked well for overlanding in Africa with a family consisting of 2 adults and 3 children plus an Imagine Trailvan.

Question is what do I fit on the new shape Fortuner? Any advice or experience would be most welcome!

Here are my requirements: I want a lift, I want a progressive suspension that will soak up the potholes and speed humps etc at slow speeds, yet firms up significantly when I hook up a 800kg trailer. I also do not want a soft suspension at speed, as I hate a wallowing ride.
From reading up on the topic, there are a couple of options and some warning tips.

Apparently lift is limited to about 25mm and even then you need to fit a drive shaft spacer (also known as a trim packer or tail shaft spacer) (ARB and OME have available) to prevent driveline vibrations.
Would like to hear from guys that have a higher lift kit - do you experience driveline vibrations?
There are a number of schools of thought on this topic:

Some advocate that you keep the standard coils and fit adjustable shocks. I like the ability to be able to adjust the shocks (Rancho and Tough Dog)
However keeping the standard coils will not give me any lift. So I will have to change the shocks, which I do not mind doing, and/or potentially fit a body lifting kit, which I am not keen on.
Some recommend keeping the fixed shocks in front and adding adjustable to the rear.
For heavy loading (overland travelling), it is recommended to add airbags to the rear suspension. (Gremeltech ...)

Then there are the various proponents of their favourite brand of suspension. I have driven previous generation Tuna's with EFS and Ironman suspensions, and found them too firm for my liking. Not sure of their new offerings.

I do not have experience with Tough Dog, Rancho, Amada, etc ... so if there are guys who fitted any of these, your feedback will be appreciated.

What do the Hilux guys fit on the front of their bakkies?

Thanks in advance, lets see whats out there!

PJC

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 2nd 2013

Car: 2007 Fortuner

Level: 33 [?]

Experience: 518,157

Next Level: 555,345

Sunday, July 1st 2018, 4:22pm

Cobus can sort you out. He is the suspension Guru.

Erik

Trainee

Date of registration: Jan 14th 2015

Car: 2007 3.0 Fortuner

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 226,438

Next Level: 242,754

Monday, July 2nd 2018, 12:31pm

Cash flow problems?? I think not. :)

AmadaXtreme

Commercial Member

Date of registration: Jul 25th 2013

Car: Fortuner d4d 4x4

Level: 41 [?]

Experience: 2,498,644

Next Level: 2,530,022

Monday, July 2nd 2018, 3:26pm

Hi Herbie, wil ltry to give you some answers.... but please feel free to contact myself directly for more info,

We do on the Fortuner's 50mm Suspension without any side effects such as vibrations of any serious wear on any joints, the moment you go over the 50mm bracket then the suspension geometry start changing very quickly and the kit become much more expensive.

You mention you would like a progressive system, we did use progressive coils earlier but stopped manufacturing them, let me explain... the progressive coils sounds great... soft on the top and become progressively harder as you load your vehicle, ... the soft part is created by coiling the wire closer together as the moment you manufacture the coils closer the coil become softer the spring rate and if you increase the distance between the coils, the spring rate increase.
But the problem when loading, because the top part is softer... it will sag also quicker, thus when you load the vehicle it will sag very easily. I have found the linear coil springs to give better overall performance when it comes to daily use and load applications.

Remember shocks does not give any lift, unless you have a front shock with an adjustable spring seat, then only can get more height out of the shock with the standard coil spring. We offer 2x types of front shocks, std height spring seat and raised spring seat.... thus with the raised spring seat we can raise the front with the std coils or raise more with different coil springs.

I have airbags on both my vehicles, of one is the Fortuner... I love the air bags, gives perfect balance between comfort when the vehicle is not loaded and can be inflated to handle almost any load. There are 2 x types available for the Fortuner.... first the in-side coil type... not my first choice although its cheaper... rather go for the heavy duty unit which fits between the axle and chassis... these are unreal and go for the Firestone product, slightly more expensive but top quality
AmadaXtreme Suspensions
Diamond Park nr2, 86 Jakaranda Str, Hennopspark, Centurion
S25°51'50.2 E28°09'58.2

Cobus 071 641 7947 cobus@amadaxtreme.co.za

PJC

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 2nd 2013

Car: 2007 Fortuner

Experience: 518,157

Monday, July 2nd 2018, 3:40pm

Well stated Cobus.
FYI...I'm waiting patiently for my quote.

gajac

Beginner

Date of registration: Mar 20th 2013

Car: Fortuner GD2.8 4X4

Level: 17 [?]

Experience: 12,223

Next Level: 13,278

Friday, July 20th 2018, 1:13pm

Gone with the Ironman Foam Cell, Super happy with a win win situation both empty and fully loaded benefiting :thumbsup:

Breekbeen

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jul 6th 2015

Car: '10 Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4

Experience: 498,733

Friday, July 20th 2018, 8:18pm

My gat juk nou vreeslik vir die Fox 2.0 shocks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
2010 3.0 D4D 4x4
OME, ARB bullbar, SNORKEL, T-Max Winch, African Outback Roof rack,
KC Hilights, Dastec Unichip

Rate this thread