You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Yubbz

Beginner

• "Yubbz" started this thread

Date of registration: May 26th 2015

Car: 07 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 M/T

Level: 15 [?]

Experience: 5,914

Next Level: 7,465

Friday, April 6th 2018, 8:05am

Whine from Somewhere (gearbox?!)

Hi all,

I just would like some advice here as you are all so full of knowledge:

2007 Fortuner 4x4 (Manual) 3.0 D4D:
  • The whine I am hearing while driving most is noticeable around 100 <-> 120 km/h.
  • The whine is there when one only has your foot on the accelerator
  • The whine goes away (or gets very quiet) once you put pressure on the clutch (Not clutch in, just pressure on it)
  • The whine goes away (or gets very quiet) once you put the clutch all the way in too
  • The whine comes back when one fully releases the clutch pedal.
Can this be the pilot / release bearing or is the only possibility that it is the gearbox input shaft bearing? If it is the gearbox bearing, I need to have a seeping T/Case seal replaced at the same time.

I do not drive this vehicle much during the year but would like to get it ready for December holiday - as I stay in Muizenberg and have lots of time, looking for a cost effective solution even if it does take some time.

I appreciate the input to come,

Kyle