Level: 16 [?]

Experience: 9,099

Next Level: 10,000

Friday, April 6th 2018, 8:05am

Whine from Somewhere (gearbox?!)

Hi all,

I just would like some advice here as you are all so full of knowledge:

2007 Fortuner 4x4 (Manual) 3.0 D4D:
  • The whine I am hearing while driving most is noticeable around 100 <-> 120 km/h.
  • The whine is there when one only has your foot on the accelerator
  • The whine goes away (or gets very quiet) once you put pressure on the clutch (Not clutch in, just pressure on it)
  • The whine goes away (or gets very quiet) once you put the clutch all the way in too
  • The whine comes back when one fully releases the clutch pedal.
Can this be the pilot / release bearing or is the only possibility that it is the gearbox input shaft bearing? If it is the gearbox bearing, I need to have a seeping T/Case seal replaced at the same time.

I do not drive this vehicle much during the year but would like to get it ready for December holiday - as I stay in Muizenberg and have lots of time, looking for a cost effective solution even if it does take some time.

I appreciate the input to come,

Kyle

Vleisie

Beginner

Date of registration: Feb 4th 2019

Car: 2013 Foruner 3.0 A/T 4x4

Level: 11 [?]

Experience: 1,829

Next Level: 2,074

Monday, February 4th 2019, 2:07pm

Hi Kyle

did you end up finding the problem?

I took my fortuner on a pretty extreme course and since then i have had this irritating whistling noise, the course was very wet and muddy.

I did end up narrowing down what seems to be the location of the little piggy squealing. The right wheel cv/drive shaft where it enters into the gearbox.if i jack the car up and by hand turn the right wheel i can hear the squealing/scratching sound.

I have tried washing this location out with a lot of mud exiting the flange where these 2 parts meet and gave it a couple of squirts of silicone spray. it has been quiet for 2 days now and not have not returned yet.

But we will see

Yubbz

Beginner

• "Yubbz" started this thread

Date of registration: May 26th 2015

Car: 07 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 M/T

Level: 16 [?]

Experience: 9,099

Next Level: 10,000

Monday, February 4th 2019, 2:23pm

Hi Vleisie,

Thanks for the reply, I hope you have sorted out the issue :)

For me, well... so much has transpired since then...

The whine was still prevalent throughout my honeymoon and we suspected a pilot bearing.

On honeymoon, another whine came about and got worse and worse in a matter of about 200km...

So a long story short, Toyota cracked the transfer case when they serviced the car in march.
Then when they fixed it in October (they welded it) I got them to do the seal since they were doing the work (on the gearbox side - it was the one seeping)
Turns out they never put oil in the gearbox when they replaced the seal. So the gearbox burned out (unbeknownst to me and while on honeymoon?!). Anyway I managed to limp to another Toyota when I discovered the whine where they added oil. this got me to back to Cape Town where they replaced the gearbox.

Since then the wine is gone and the car even sounds different when you start it (weird)...

So ya... no more whine!

Rooster

Trainee

Date of registration: Jul 29th 2016

Car: Fortuner V6 4L Auto

Level: 25 [?]

Experience: 95,589

Next Level: 100,000

Friday, February 8th 2019, 8:47am

Whining in my car normally comes straight from the passenger seat and when it goes to sleep on a long journey the whining normally stops....

I have also discovered that wine smooth's the whining and resolves a number of other issues I've been having....

PRA

Intermediate

Date of registration: Dec 19th 2012

Car: Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 36 [?]

Experience: 913,694

Next Level: 1,000,000

Friday, February 8th 2019, 12:00pm

Whining in my car normally comes straight from the passenger seat and when it goes to sleep ....................

Yup, I had similar thoughts.

From the signature of a member on one of the forums that always makes me smile ..............
"Sometimes I wake up grumpy,
Other times I just let her sleep".

:D :D :D

Vleisie

Beginner

Date of registration: Feb 4th 2019

Car: 2013 Foruner 3.0 A/T 4x4

Level: 11 [?]

Experience: 1,829

Next Level: 2,074

Monday, February 11th 2019, 5:36pm

Hi Vleisie,

Thanks for the reply, I hope you have sorted out the issue :)

For me, well... so much has transpired since then...

The whine was still prevalent throughout my honeymoon and we suspected a pilot bearing.

On honeymoon, another whine came about and got worse and worse in a matter of about 200km...

So a long story short, Toyota cracked the transfer case when they serviced the car in march.
Then when they fixed it in October (they welded it) I got them to do the seal since they were doing the work (on the gearbox side - it was the one seeping)
Turns out they never put oil in the gearbox when they replaced the seal. So the gearbox burned out (unbeknownst to me and while on honeymoon?!). Anyway I managed to limp to another Toyota when I discovered the whine where they added oil. this got me to back to Cape Town where they replaced the gearbox.

Since then the wine is gone and the car even sounds different when you start it (weird)...

So ya... no more whine!

So i have luckily sorted out most of my whining.
Timing belt changed, it looks like it has been done before by the previous owner, as the belt looks very good. But none the less i feel better as i know it was definitely changed.
V-belt swapped out as well, not much cracks on the belt but compared to the new belt you could definitely see that the old v belt had some wear if you look at the gaps of the grooves.

Then for my Cv into gearbox whine, alot of silicone spray that i forced between the gearbox protrusion and cv rod connection have solved that whining for atleast about a week now. Must be all the water "deep puddles e.g." and the mud driving