You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Yaaseen

Trainee

• "Yaaseen" started this thread

Date of registration: Sep 3rd 2013

Car: Fortuner 3.0D-4D 4x4 manual

Level: 28 [?]

Experience: 167,457

Next Level: 195,661

Thursday, September 28th 2017, 10:34am

Whining Noise from Front Right when Driving

Top of the Morning Good People

Its been a while since i last posted anything here. feels good to be back. Lets get straight in...

I drive a 2012 3.0 D4D manual fortuner (4x4 of course :P ), and i now have a MCC front bumber as well as EFS suspension 50mm lift. I have standard Dueler tyres. Currently i have 140000km on the clock and its time for a service. i think about 20 or 30 thousand kilometers ago there was this noise that started coming from the front tyre. It sounded like something may have gotten stuck in between the disc and the pad or something, but its like a constant whistling sound. i can still hear it and it has been for 2 services already since then. its there when i drive below 40 km/h and probably is there at faster speeds but too soft to hear. It seems like its coming from the front right tyre only. I asked the dealership to check it out and they say theres nothing stuck there. It doesnt affect my braking or my handling and the car moves lekker still. I thought it might fall out but it never changes in pitch, nor gets any less. its the same sound all the time. It makes no difference if i roll in neutral, keep it in gear and hold my clutch or leave it in gear and cruise at low speed... it just doesnt go away. its starting to drive me :crazy: and i would like to know if anyone has any idea what the hell is going on...

The dealer did suggest that it is some type of a pump that is going and it makes that squeaking/whining/whistling sound when the car is on and moving and it will get progressivley louder. It just doesnt make sense though and maybe someone can comment on that as well. I havent rolled the car down a hill while switched off to hear the sound. the reason i ignored the dealers comment was because he said it will cost me about R12k or something to replace. That didnt sound logical so i kind of forgot about it, but now its going on for too long.

Colin

Beginner

Date of registration: Mar 19th 2016

Car: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 A/T

Level: 18 [?]

Experience: 16,266

Next Level: 17,484

Friday, October 6th 2017, 10:54am

Hi Yaaseen,

I have a noise from the left front wheel, it also sounds like something rubbing on the brake disc.

I have taken the wheel off on numerous occasions but have never found anything wrong. it seems to occur when I drive on dirt roads but at times also is heard on tar at lower speeds. I think that it is the pins that hold the brake pads in.
It is actually more irritating than anything else.

Colin

Stekel

Intermediate

Date of registration: Mar 24th 2015

Car: 2010 Fortuner 4x4 3.0D4D

Level: 28 [?]

Experience: 158,205

Next Level: 195,661

Sunday, October 8th 2017, 9:48am

Wheel bearing!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Breekbeen

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jul 6th 2015

Car: '10 Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4

Level: 30 [?]

Experience: 275,506

Next Level: 300,073

Tuesday, October 10th 2017, 10:10pm

Let them check the front driveshaft seal on the transfer case.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
2010 3.0 D4D 4x4
OME, ARB bullbar, SNORKEL, T-Max Winch, African Outback Roof rack,
KC Hilights, Dastec Unichip