• "RobTee" started this thread

Date of registration: Feb 20th 2015

Car: 2014 Fortuner D4D Epic 4x4

Level: 23 [?]

Experience: 54,287

Next Level: 62,494

Tuesday, April 2nd 2019, 2:43pm

dual rear wheel carriers

I'm planning to get 2 x rear wheel carriers fitted on a custom-built bumper.
On my 2014 Epic

But I was told by one supplier that this is not possible, as the wheels are too wide and will stick out the sides.
Does anyone here have 2 x swing arms fitted, and if so, what is the opinion?
Photos from the front of the vehicle as well would be great!

Breekbeen

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jul 6th 2015

Car: '10 Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4

Level: 34 [?]

Experience: 633,801

Next Level: 677,567

Tuesday, April 2nd 2019, 6:47pm

Seen many on a hilux, so can't think that it won't work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
2010 3.0 D4D 4x4
OME, ARB bullbar, SNORKEL, T-Max Winch, African Outback Roof rack,
KC Hilights, Dastec Unichip

PRA

Intermediate

Date of registration: Dec 19th 2012

Car: Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 36 [?]

Experience: 876,747

Next Level: 1,000,000

Wednesday, April 3rd 2019, 7:02am

I'm planning to get 2 x rear wheel carriers fitted on a custom-built bumper. :)

I have not got any fitted, but why on earth would you want to hang 2 wheels off the back of your vehicle?

RobTee

Beginner

Wednesday, April 3rd 2019, 9:13am

why?

:) Fair question - I'm retiring next year and want to explore our subcontinent - single vehicle, so want to carry 2 spares. The plan is to fit a decent-sized long-range fuel tank where the existing spare is - also as a contingency.
No trailer, just a RTT on top. Satphone is another contingency.

PRA

Intermediate

Wednesday, April 3rd 2019, 10:32am

RE: why?

:) Fair question - I'm retiring next year and want to explore our subcontinent - single vehicle, so want to carry 2 spares. The plan is to fit a decent-sized long-range fuel tank where the existing spare is - also as a contingency.
No trailer, just a RTT on top. Satphone is another contingency.

I'm not trying to be clever nor to be a superhero, but this is my experience.

For the last 30 years my wife and I have travelled the subcontinent with our 4x4s and off road caravan/trailer and have always just carried a spare wheel for the vehicle and a spare wheel for the caravan.
Over these years and many, many trips w'eve had minimal wheel/tyre problems.
When we did experience a problem we used the spare wheel and travelled carefully to the next stop where we could have our problem sorted out.
I can't justify carrying 100+kg dead weight on the back of the vehicle with the resultant bulk, odd weight distribution and stress that the overhang load places on the rear suspension.

Regarding fuel, we have the standard fuel tank (we have a 3.0 D4D) and carry two 20lt jerrycans on the back of our caravan.
This has been ample for trips up to Malawi/Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Namibia Koakoland and Kunene.
With good planning carrying loads of fuel is not necessary.

We usually travelling alone, one vehicle - that's our preference.
For trips with very difficult terrain we have a travelling buddy.
I believe that a Satphone is a must.
You'll never know its true value until you need it and don't have one.

RobTee

Beginner

Friday, April 5th 2019, 12:24pm

Thanks PRA for your detailed response - much appreciated.

I hear you, but we are all different in our driving styles, choice of routes, experience etc, and for our own peace of mind we have opted to go this route.

The bumper will be custom made at around 35kg, and not sure how much each actual swing arm will be, but not excessive in my view. I'm not towing anything, so am ok with the extra weight on the back - also I have air bags fitted which will help somewhat.

I'm with you on the satphone. It was the first thing I bought after the vehicle. You only need it once to make it indispensable.

Re the 2 x swing arms - I've measured the wheels and am happy that they should fit without too much of a problem. But I'd still like to hear from anyone who has such a system already.

Tx

Date of registration: May 23rd 2014

Car: 2006 fortuna v6

Experience: 62,012

Friday, April 5th 2019, 1:20pm

This dual carrier has been in the back of my mind for a whilst, have never seen it though.

I think 4WD Truckin in Pretoria (they do Artic Conversions) will do it for you, but have no more info than that as its not near the top of my bucket list.

RobTee

Beginner

Friday, April 5th 2019, 2:17pm

This dual carrier has been in the back of my mind for a whilst, have never seen it though.

I think 4WD Truckin in Pretoria (they do Artic Conversions) will do it for you, but have no more info than that as its not near the top of my bucket list.
Thanks Chris - I'm in Cape Town, so have opted for Maniac 4x4 - excellent guys! :D

JPC

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 18th 2016

Car: Fortuner 3.0 D4-D4x4

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 219,963

Next Level: 242,754

Friday, April 5th 2019, 2:59pm

Thanks PRA for your detailed response - much appreciated.

I hear you, but we are all different in our driving styles, choice of routes, experience etc, and for our own peace of mind we have opted to go this route.

The bumper will be custom made at around 35kg, and not sure how much each actual swing arm will be, but not excessive in my view. I'm not towing anything, so am ok with the extra weight on the back - also I have air bags fitted which will help somewhat.

I'm with you on the satphone. It was the first thing I bought after the vehicle. You only need it once to make it indispensable.

Re the 2 x swing arms - I've measured the wheels and am happy that they should fit without too much of a problem. But I'd still like to hear from anyone who has such a system already.

Tx
I agree with two spares, we toured through Namibia in March, lost a wheel on the first gravel road in the first 10km :dash: - had another 350km gravel roads ahead to do with no spare, so nerves was shot by the time we got to the first lodge :ill: . quick fix there and on we went the next day, with another 400km gravel roads ahead of us.

Once in Swakopmund, I checked the spare and it was flat again, cost me to buy two new tyres ;( as we had another 900km of gravel roads ahead of us, brought the good tyre that came off the Fortuner home, now looking for another rim - next time I will have two spares.

In total we did about 1700km gravel roads, from excellent roads to the worst roads imaginable - had one flat, which ended up in buying two new tyres. :beer:

Reason for two new tyres, original 4 had already done 50 000km, not sure about the spare tyre, so I opted for two new tyres at the back to prevent the diff getting damaged by uneven thread wear. :nono:
His:
'14 Ford Ranger 2.2 Double Cab............ :whistling:
'09 Honda Varadero 1000

Hers:
'12 Fortuner 3.0 D4-D 4x4 MAN

Friday, April 5th 2019, 3:53pm

Would be great to see some pictures when its completed. IMPO, I would go for the 2 spares option, even after all the pro's and con's arguements.

Could you also swap the tyre swing for jerry cans if you wante? Ive seen quite a few interchangeable bumpers in Oz and the US where this is possible.

4TUNA-CT

Beginner

Date of registration: Apr 7th 2019

Car: Fortuner 2011 D4D - 4X4

Level: 6 [?]

Experience: 178

Next Level: 282

Sunday, April 7th 2019, 8:16pm

I had the duel spare wheel carrier installed and I am not sorry. It is not wider than the Tuna (depneding on the size of your tyres)

It was really money well worth spent, small conversion to the rear bumper due to the steal rear bumper that the carrier is mpounted on.
4TUNA-CT has attached the following image:
  • IMG_20181218_172251 send.jpg

Monday, April 8th 2019, 12:14am

thats a great add-on, really impressed, want one now!!!

you mention tyres, what are you running and what size, looks like BFG muds?

RobTee

Beginner

Monday, April 8th 2019, 7:43am

I had the duel spare wheel carrier installed and I am not sorry. It is not wider than the Tuna (depneding on the size of your tyres)

It was really money well worth spent, small conversion to the rear bumper due to the steal rear bumper that the carrier is mpounted on
Thanks for the pic. My wagon is booked in for 6 May at Maniac, and I'll post pics when I get it back.
:D

pic

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 9th 2019, 3:07pm

I looked into it and was told that it's too much weight on the tail of the Tuna and would eventualy crack and break the frame behind the axel.
I do like the look though.

PRA

Intermediate

Wednesday, April 10th 2019, 6:36am

I looked into it and was told that it's too much weight on the tail of the Tuna and would eventualy crack and break the frame behind the axel.

Yup.

RobTee

Beginner

Wednesday, April 10th 2019, 8:40am

I'd really like to hear from anyone that has had direct experience of this: "would eventually crack and break the frame behind the axle"
I would imagine that such a scenario would also depend on the overall weight carried - was the vehicle overloaded?

PRA

Intermediate

Wednesday, April 10th 2019, 5:54pm

"would eventually crack and break the frame behind the axle"

Makes sense to me.
Many of the roads you say you want to travel have bone-jarring corrugations, and off road travel automatically dishes up troughs and dips in the road which you invariable see too late and hit at the wrong speed or angle and call 'hang-on'.
All this while the vehicle body and chassis has to handle forces generated by 100kg+ deadweight dangling 1m behind the rear diff.
Have you ever tried to throw kleilat with a ball of clay that's too heavy??
Heavy things don't change direction quickly or easily.

Anyhow, I gave my opinion earlier and have chirped in again now. My opinion - it's a bad idea.
That's all from me - over and out.