• "fransganswyk" started this thread

Date of registration: Feb 17th 2017

Car: 2008 FORTUNER 4X4 D4D 3.0

Level: 21 [?]

Experience: 31,317

Next Level: 38,246

Thursday, July 26th 2018, 8:33am

Diy Front And Dual Rear Facing Camera

I installed a satnav system last year with the option of a reverse camera. I liked the idea so bought a rear view camera of ebay.

I installed it and i enjoyed looking behind me with guides to see where i was going.

Then i started thinking. Will it be possible to mount a front facing camera to the same channel as the reverse, but, working from an independent switch in the dash and installing a second camera to face more backwards for seeing what a trailer is doing in the back (small venter trailer with a wheel base) or reversing in a hard to see parking.

This will be for when i go offroading, the camera will aid me to see what is in front of each wheel. The camera will need to be mounted quite far back in the chassis to allow this. Position is still not finalized.

I started drawing a circuit diagram of the intended design. As soon as i get my front camera from ebay, i will start with the project.

For the tech poffins, please review and give comments.

The video will be fed from 2 different cameras to the same rca feed, but only one camera at a time will have power. I think it will work...

For the rear cameras, the same principle will apply. Only 1 will have power at a time. I hope this will not disrupt the feed.
fransganswyk has attached the following files:

Erik

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jan 14th 2015

Car: 2007 3.0 Fortuner

Level: 30 [?]

Experience: 244,728

Next Level: 300,073

Friday, July 27th 2018, 12:43pm

Will work 100%. I installed a camera that looked straight back when I got my radio. It can view far back great for seeing kids and bicycles that is behind. But I could not see my tow bar. So I installed a second camera that looks down onto the tow bar. Both feed video to the radio, (did not even use a splitter, I just cut and connected the wires). The one camera gets power when I engage reverse through a relay on normally closed. I connected the relay coil to the tail lights (in your diagram a button) When I want to view the second cam, I switch my lights on. Only drawback is I can only use this cam at night, or I have to switch the lights off. So button might be better.

• "fransganswyk" started this thread

Date of registration: Feb 17th 2017

Car: 2008 FORTUNER 4X4 D4D 3.0

Level: 21 [?]

Experience: 31,317

Next Level: 38,246

Friday, July 27th 2018, 1:16pm

I didnt think of using the rear light as a switch. Good idea.

I have another idea now. Instead of powering both cameras with the reverse lights, the top camera will be controlled by another power source. Thus, i will be able to see from the top camera even when im going forward. In case i tow a small venter or something. I will be able to see what is happening to it.