You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Alvin

Intermediate

Date of registration: Dec 4th 2013

Car: Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4

Level: 35 [?]

Experience: 758,649

Next Level: 824,290

Friday, August 7th 2015, 8:05am

The trick with sand is low tyre pressure (1.2Bar) and momentum. Unfortunately high revs are the way to go and take your foot of the clutch and brake. As soon as you touch one of those pedals you are stuck. Dont worry about braking, the sand will brake you

+1

I learnt this the hard way, applying the brake bogs you.

Kazmi465

Trainee

Date of registration: Jul 28th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner Sportivo

Level: 24 [?]

Experience: 69,126

Next Level: 79,247

Sunday, August 9th 2015, 7:33pm

My experience is from Deserts of Pakistan and Dubai.
We need bigger footprint so we keep the inflation as low as 15psi.
This also tends the tyers to "pinch" the sand and improve the grip.
To overcome sinking or jamming, we use steel chains . . . as shown below.
Yes, still need to be proficient on paddles !
Kazmi465 has attached the following images:
  • Sand Chains.jpg
  • Inflation.jpg
:arrow:
Roads End NOT Journey !

Kazmi465

Trainee

Date of registration: Jul 28th 2015

Car: Toyota Fortuner Sportivo

Level: 24 [?]

Experience: 69,126

Next Level: 79,247

Sunday, August 9th 2015, 7:36pm

Good Morning Gents

on Sunday I had the opportunity to go to melkbos 4x4 track and play with the tuna properly for the first time. first off I must say wow what a capable vehicle even in my in experienced hands the tuna just gave me so much confidence. the question I have is on the way to the moddergat and play area it is sand tracks which are quite twisty and can get very thick in some corners. before the start I let tyres down to 1.5bar and engaged HL.

I drove along without any problems but did almost get stuck once when I changed to second gear, I found that I had to drive mostly in 1st gear to get through with out any problems. being new to 4x4ing I was wondering is this the right approach or am I potentially damaging the vehicle by driving so far in 1st gear? my friend who came along in a ranger 3lt 4x4 said he did the entire track in low range 3rd gear so now im even more confused :wacko:

besides that question I have the tuna performed incredibly well only needing to use low range once to get over a big hill with lots of ruts. as my first outing I enjoyed getting out to walk the obstacles and check what potential dangers there are and I must say even my future wife was a bok getting out to scout and even walking thru the water to check wading depth. Melkbos track was a lot of fun and will def be back to fine tune some skills before hitting more serious trails.

Look forward to your guys feedback 8)
Great Experience.
Nice Sharing !
:arrow:
Roads End NOT Journey !