You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "JadonWolmarans" started this thread

Date of registration: Mar 18th 2013

Car: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4

Level: 19 [?]

Experience: 22,809

Next Level: 22,851

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 11:13am

2009 Fortuner D4D 4x4 - General questions by a newbie

Hi All, I just became the proud owner of my first Fortuner. WHAT A MACHINE - coming from a Navara, anything Toyota is brilliant.

I just have a few questions regarding the vehicle.

1. Is it an all-time 4x4 or does the "H" setting on the gear box turn it into a 4x2? Sorry there are some contradictions on the 4x4 community forum. ?(
2. If it is not an all-time 4x4, is there any way to switch off the central diff lock when "HL" is engaged?
3. Where is the best place in Gauteng to go for a bit of 4x4 training?

Any tips, pointers and must-have accessories you can advise me of will be brilliant.

Thank you.

Jadon

Geoff08

Beginner

Date of registration: Mar 14th 2013

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4

Level: 15 [?]

Experience: 6,855

Next Level: 7,465

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 3:50pm

Hi Jadon,

Congrats on the machine! To answer your questions:

1. Its a permanent four wheel drive vehicle,
2. As such, when the transfer case is in normal High position the central Diff is open, sending power to all wheels with traction (ie, if only 1 of your wheels has traction, it will get the power (use for normal tar driving)). High Lock distributes power equally between the front and the back wheels and ensures that at least 1 wheel at both ends gets power (good for gravel roads).
3. Look up Tim at SA Adventure for training - based at Hennops 4x4 Offroad Trail.

My tips and pointers - if you want to do some offroading, get rid of those side steps and that useless bullbar, although good looking they only limit the clearance (approach and break over angles) and can push into the body damaging your car...

Its a very capable car as is, keep in mind that any modifications you do to make it better offroad will compromise its onroad handling!

Cheers!

deondupreez

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jan 17th 2013

Car: Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4, Custom longrange overlander

Level: 32 [?]

Experience: 428,442

Next Level: 453,790

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 4:04pm

2. As such, when the transfer case is in normal High position the central Diff is open, sending power to all wheels with traction (ie, if only 1 of your wheels has traction, it will get the power (use for normal tar driving)).

Geoff08 I think you have it wrong. In High position with center diff open all power is distributed to all four wheels. As long as all four wheels have traction the power is distributed, but the moment one wheel loose traction power is distributed to that wheel i.e the wheel spins. To over come this problem you have to introduce differential lock. If driving in HL and one wheel loose traction the center differential lock will ensure power is still distributed to the front axle if the rear axle loose traction or visa versa.
If you have a situation that both front wheels and one rear wheel have no traction, the rear diff-lock can be engaged to ensure power is still transfered to the one remaining wheel with traction.
But if you are in a situation that both rear wheel and one front wheel have no traction, you will be in trouble as the ft does not have front difflock.

This is a mouthfull, but I hope it explains the workings.

• "JadonWolmarans" started this thread

Date of registration: Mar 18th 2013

Car: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4

Level: 19 [?]

Experience: 22,809

Next Level: 22,851

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 4:11pm

Thanks Geoff,

The side steps I understand fully. I do not like the look of them anyway, but I don't understand why I should remove the bull bar. Does it affect the approach angle that much?

I plan to make it a wolf in sheep's clothing when talking about off-road capability. Thus, it must perform to the best without modifying too much on the outside (must still blend into the city). Do you have any pointers on the first gadget I should install - i.e: two way radio, winch, roof rack - I want to go all out on gadgets here.

Also, my spare wheel is very low due to the previous owner installing an extra 40l tank. Does anyone know where I can have a bracket fitted/made to have the wheel at the back? I just want to increase my departure angle.

Geoff08

Beginner

Date of registration: Mar 14th 2013

Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4

Level: 15 [?]

Experience: 6,855

Next Level: 7,465

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 4:33pm

Deon - thanks you're 100% correct! Managed to confuse myself...

Jadon - that bullbar doesn't affect the apprpoach angle too much, it takes away about 50mm clearance at the nose. I'm against it as it only looks good, and doesn't protect the front from even a minor bump (if you take it off you'll see how flimsy the brackets are that keep it on - I wouldn't even use it to mount spots for fear of placing too much of a burden on it!)

Thats as far as my advice goes unfortunately, all I've done is upgraded the shocks on mine to deal with gravel roads (might be a good place for you to start too)

Cheers

deondupreez

Intermediate

Date of registration: Jan 17th 2013

Car: Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4, Custom longrange overlander

Level: 32 [?]

Experience: 428,442

Next Level: 453,790

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 4:39pm

Talk to any of the fitment centers; LA Sport, Safari Center about fitting the extras you want. They are able to supply upgrades at lower cost than contacting the manufacturers.

With upgrades you need to think where you want to end up with.
Mass is very important and you may find fitting all these upgrades will weigh your FT down.

Moving the spare wheel to the back can be expensive as it usually envolve reaplacing the towbar as well. There are two styles of design involved moving the spare to the back. One involve a protruding sparewheel arm from the exsiting bumper, the other involve a full rear bumper replacement with a integrated swin arm. The protruding swing arm is lighter than the full replacement bumper. This could be a problem when adding up all the weights of other rear vehicle fitments.

Drawer system weight : 100kg
Rear fuel tank 100L : 140kg with fuel
Rear spare wheel hanger protruding the bumper : 120kg with spare wheel
Full replacement bumper with sparewheel hanger : Do not know will be heavier

You may have to fit rear air lifters to ensure the back not hanging.

For the front you can look at integrated winch bar. I know Stofpad is working on one. The winch do not need to be big a 9000lb one will do, but change the cable to plasma cord to improve safety.

If camping is your game look at second battery with Ctek DC-to-DC charger, let them install the battery monitor in the center console so you can have a good eye on it. Also look for a inverter for 220V.
You can use this setup to power all your extras such as fridge, external camping lights, airpump,, etc.

Radio, go for a VHF system. The antenna is usally a problem: you can go for a magnetic base, nice for fitment only when you need it, or permanent installation close to a magnetic surface such as the roof or front engine bonnet. The antenna for a VHF system will be in the range of 1.2 to 1.5m depending on the frequency. With the older CB systems you will end up with a Lot longer antenna.