You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Fortuner 4x4 Fans. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

RyanWedderburn

Intermediate

• "RyanWedderburn" started this thread

Date of registration: Sep 6th 2013

Car: 2010 Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 35 [?]

Experience: 755,856

Next Level: 824,290

Monday, November 18th 2013, 8:30am

Mud terrain driving tips

With the heavy rain fall in Lesotho this past weekend, we saw a lot of mud which turned some every day roads into complete chaos.

Are there any general rules for mud?

Due to the conditions I decided to head into the mountains to a marshal and self-fuel point to get extra supplements to our riders. The route was marked as 4x4 only - and that was for dry conditions. In the rain they forgot to mention that we need to be slightly crazy too. So off we went.

At first I was trying to keep my pace low but found the FT sliding all over the place. As soon as I increased speed, things seemed a lot more stable.

I had one "kak-in-my-broek" moment where the FT started sliding on an off-camber descent and I almost parked it in a donga the size of the FT. Not entirely sure how I avoided that, but with the tail coming around and almost in the ditch, I gassed it with opposite steering lock and the front wheels literally pulled it straight again. Me, my two brothers in the van, and the two shepherds watching us had eyes the size of saucers!

There was also another descent with a sharp turn at the bottom where I had to crawl as slowly as possible to avoid falling off the cliff, which is where my running board hit a rock on the inside of the bend - quite funny and ironic, as my new sliders are at Real Steel waiting to be fitted.

So any guidelines/tips for seriously muddy terrain? Not for flat terrain. This was ups and downs all the way.

AmadaXtreme

Commercial Member

Date of registration: Jul 25th 2013

Car: Fortuner d4d 4x4

Level: 42 [?]

Experience: 2,739,146

Next Level: 3,025,107

Monday, November 18th 2013, 8:41am

First Question, what tyres do you have fitted on your FT?

Remember as with everything you need to right tools for the job - when serious mud you need Mud tyres - But yes as per your experience muds reduce your vehicle's traction in all areas and you might end up with almost zero traction, it can become very very difficult with no clear cut rules, but in a nutshell it does help to deflate your tyres.... but the moment the mud start clogging into your tyres groves you running on slicks :thumbdown: which wont help
AmadaXtreme Suspensions
Diamond Park nr2, 86 Jakaranda Str, Hennopspark, Centurion
S25°51'50.2 E28°09'58.2

Cobus 071 641 7947 cobus@amadaxtreme.co.za

RyanWedderburn

Intermediate

• "RyanWedderburn" started this thread

Monday, November 18th 2013, 9:12am

Cobus, my FT has the Duelers that I got with the van when I bought it.

I agree, having the right tools for the job is the right way to go. But, we were at a bike race running the support crew for our racing team, where the weather conditions changed so dramatically, it changed the dynamics of pretty much everything - for riders and service crews alike. One of my riders broke down in the mountains and we had to go deep into the mountain to get him out.

So let's assume that all we had was the general all terrain tyres. Is it better to deflate in the mud?

But ja, if we were going for a 4x4 day in the mud, then I think I will definitely go and buy a set proper mud terrain boots :)

Btw, I will be chatting to you early next year for a suspension change.

AmadaXtreme

Commercial Member

Date of registration: Jul 25th 2013

Car: Fortuner d4d 4x4

Level: 42 [?]

Experience: 2,739,146

Next Level: 3,025,107

Monday, November 18th 2013, 10:14am

Ryan,
I agree 100% with you - Personally I dont see the need to fit MT tyres if you maybe going to use them maybe once a year - its a diffcult choice when fitting new tyres... how many times you really going to need them - But they obviouslly much better than std HT or AT tyres...... but again I haver seeing Muds also totally clocked up with mud and looking like slicks!
AmadaXtreme Suspensions
Diamond Park nr2, 86 Jakaranda Str, Hennopspark, Centurion
S25°51'50.2 E28°09'58.2

Cobus 071 641 7947 cobus@amadaxtreme.co.za

Ryan

Intermediate

• "Ryan" started this thread

Monday, November 18th 2013, 11:29am

Ryan,
I agree 100% with you - Personally I dont see the need to fit MT tyres if you maybe going to use them maybe once a year - its a diffcult choice when fitting new tyres... how many times you really going to need them - But they obviouslly much better than std HT or AT tyres...... but again I haver seeing Muds also totally clocked up with mud and looking like slicks!

Cobus, if it was just slicks at times, it would have been ok. But there's were times that I had at least 2 inches of mud "retread" on the wheels as well. Was a very interesting experience!

Fox

Sage

Date of registration: Mar 6th 2013

Car: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6

Level: 50 [?]

Experience: 10,763,161

Next Level: 11,777,899

Monday, November 18th 2013, 1:03pm

Mud turns any tire into a slick lol. I agree with Cobus, no need to fit mudds if you only need them once as year, my A/t tires do just as well in the mudd

Rate this thread