Date of registration: Apr 7th 2019

Car: Fortuner 2011 D4D - 4X4

Level: 8 [?]

Experience: 641

Next Level: 674

Sunday, April 14th 2019, 10:49am

Namibia - Sperrgebiet

Good day all the fans

I am going to be traveling to Henties next month from Cape Town and wanted to have my first stop and sleep over in Oranjemund. From there the plan was to go through the Sperrgebiet to Luderitz but I have been told by everyone I speak to except for one, that its not possible to do this.

Can anyone of you with more experience and knowledge about the Oranjemund crossing and road to Luderitz help with the correct info.
?( :huh:

AJ Venter

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 29th 2015

Car: Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 30 [?]

Experience: 298,241

Next Level: 300,073

Sunday, April 14th 2019, 1:56pm

The proclamation of the Sperrgebiet National Park (SNP) in December 2008 means that, for the first time in more than a century, ‘ordinary’ people will be able to set foot in this vast, desolately beautiful 22 000-square-kilometre area of largely pristine wilderness, the most biodiverse desert in the country.
The northern section of the SNP has been accessible to limited concession-run tourism for some time – noteworthy being ecologically sensitive adventure dune-driving safaris, visits to historic mining relics, shipwrecks, and seal colonies north of Lüderitz. Most of the southern section, however, has experienced no visits from the public since being declared ‘forbidden’ in the early 20th century.
Despite having been declared a national park, this status currently remains unchanged. Entry is denied to non-permit holders under the conditions of the Diamond Act. This effectively means that access is still limited to the former Diamond Coast Recreation Area (now part of the SNP) and the famous ghost town of Kolmanskop near Lüderitz, the eerie remains of the Pomona settlement and the magnificent Bogenfels rock arch guided by the authorised tour operator.
For all other areas you still need to obtain a special entry permit from the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME), which necessitates the submission of a police clearance document from your country of origin and can entail some months wait for Namibian authorities to approve the visit application.
Namdeb-run security gates continue to operate at each of the existing entry points as well as within the park. And although the penalties have changed, the message on the old signs that still stand essentially remains the same – “Warning. Penalty £500. Or One Year’s Imprisonment. The Public Is Warned Against Entering The Prohibited Area.”

AJ Venter

Intermediate

Date of registration: Apr 29th 2015

Car: Fortuner D4D 4x4

Level: 30 [?]

Experience: 298,241

Next Level: 300,073

Sunday, April 14th 2019, 1:57pm

The only info I can find, would be best to contact the Ministry.

4TUNA-CT

Beginner

• "4TUNA-CT" started this thread

Sunday, April 14th 2019, 7:40pm

Thank you.
I will be phoning the Ministry tomorrow.

4TUNA-CT

Beginner

• "4TUNA-CT" started this thread

Sunday, July 14th 2019, 9:06pm

Hi Guys

We have been and come back from Namibia road trip and there is NO way of going through "SPERRGEBIET" what so ever.
Was still and amazing trip and will be going back to Nam soon.