You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-20 of 274.

Tuesday, January 23rd 2018, 7:19pm

Author: Simo

Poor Radio Reception

The radio is certainly the WORST feature of the Fortuner – that is, the older models. Not the sound, but the POOR RECEPTION!! My 2014 model drives me crazy on any trip – as did my 2010 before that. The antenna is embedded in the right rear window for some reason known only to some Toyota engineer. Even hanging a shirt on the rear hook, can further reduce reception. Does anyone have a fix for this please!? I would even tolerate an add-on external antenna, of I knew how to connect it.

Wednesday, November 22nd 2017, 12:07pm

Additional Fuel Filter

Check this photo and previous threads on diesel filters. Yes, you will need a mounting bracket - but there is plenty of space, unless you have a 2nd battery fitted in that area.

Thursday, September 28th 2017, 5:53pm

Vehicle vibration

Yes I agree that the propshafts and universals (U-joints) should be checked urgently by a qualified workshop. 2007 is a fair old age now, and there could have been some damage / corrosion unbeknown to you. The last thing you want is a failure in that area! Good luck! MOTORVISION in Pretoria West are generally very good, for a trustworthy check of suspension and drivetrain matters. (By the way: I've been driving for over 45 years and have never had a bad tyre of that nature: but several propshaft...

Thursday, September 28th 2017, 5:47pm

Long range tank

My advice is - keep the tank! I had a Colt Rodeo V6 (petrol) and fitted an extra tank that gave me 160 litres when both tanks were full. It was a godsend on long trips (Namibia, etc.) and I soon got accustomed to the slightly different fuel gauge behavior. You only need to fill it to the extra tank level when you need the extra fuel. I'm in KZN and I now have a 2014 diesel FT: if you do remove the tank and it suits the diesel model I might take it off your hands....

Monday, August 14th 2017, 10:53pm

New to the forum

Welcome ! I'm in process of moving to the South Coast. Perhaps we can have a Fortuner G2G down there one of these days.

Sunday, August 13th 2017, 8:34am

2015 conversion

Yes since the overall appearance is identical I'm sure they would fit. But unless you get them 'very cheap' it will probably be the most expensive 10 sq cms of chrome you ever fit to your vehicle. Also as I recall, its quite a mission getting inside that area to work. Good luck.... let us know?

Monday, March 27th 2017, 12:39pm

2017 Fortuner

Looking around the site, there is very little said about the new Fortuners. Why so quiet? I have a 2014 3,0 4x4 Auto with 56,000 kms, and I am considering upgrading to a 2017 model. Any useful clues? Simo

Friday, January 20th 2017, 4:14pm

A big Hello, this is me - new to Fortuner and deciding on one

Hi Franz. Don't get the impression you HAVE to mod the Fortuner to be happy! The 4x4 is a damn fine vehicle even standard. I suggest first consider the suspension. Many guys here have opted for AMADA (springs and coils, with a choice of lift height --- and NO I did not get discount for this ). Then think calmly about the rest. For example - I did a full free flow on my 2010 D4D and regretted it every day; different strokes for different folks. But in general - you will enjoy it!! OH yes - the ex...

Friday, January 20th 2017, 4:02pm

How to make my Fortuner more "stable" when loaded?

I had KONIS (Heavy Track - red) on my 2010 4x4 model, with coils from Mikem in JHB . Superb handling, but a 'somewhat' stiff ride on corrugations even at the softest shock setting. I opted for AMADA shocks and coils on my 2014 model - and I'm really happy. There is definitely a trend developing here!! NOTE - on the 2010 model I also fitted a Stofpad panhard rod adjusting bracket, to move the rod to properly horizontal at rest. I do believe that also settles the car on corrugations, especially if...

Wednesday, November 30th 2016, 12:22pm

Topping up

That is definitely not right! One tip though - tell the pump operator to NOT be in hurry for the first 50 liters. Allow the pump to run at a reasonable rate from the start, and you should get to max comfortably. Also - are you sure you don't have a long range tank fitted, that can alter the normal filling characteristics? In such a case you often do need patience.

Tuesday, November 29th 2016, 9:08pm

Spotlights On Plastic Bumper

Here we go again.... I have a long-standing urge to fit old-school spotlights (e.g. Lightforce). I dont have a steel lbumper - and cant really afford one - and I dont have or want a nudge bar. I want the lights to be direct on the plastic bumper. Internet searches reveal it done in India and Australia. But there is no clear indication how it was achieved. Obviously a substantial bracket is required behind the bumper, leading off the chassis rails. Anyone got some guidelines for me please?

Tuesday, November 29th 2016, 8:58pm

Nuweling op die Forum

Hi Meerkat, and welcome - that sounds like a geat setup on your new Fotuner. How about a few photos?! Esp that Rhino bumper!

Tuesday, November 29th 2016, 8:41pm

Spare Bits For Ft

The forum is really quiet lately so I'm placing this here and in the SALE section. I have to shut down my garage, and I have few FT bits available: · 2 sets of original D4D engine guards (the black metal under-engine pair) Unscathed - I fitted bash plates. · 2 original fuel tank protector plates - unscathed. · Pair of rear jump seats - never used: the 2010 upholstery colur - before the black arrived. · One perfect LEFT REAR seat; the fold forward one - same colour · Original shocks (x4) - dated ...

Tuesday, April 19th 2016, 1:32pm

Rippled windscreen

Definitely not normal and not acceptable. In China of course, the smog levels are so high no-one notices those things. Ha-ha!

Friday, April 15th 2016, 5:13pm

Back after long silence.

Last word before I focus again on Fortuners - I promise! (But then, the forum is so quiet lately.....) Remember the torsion bar front suspension, You often see Colts sagging at the front (running nose-down) and all that is required is winding up the torsion bars to get it level again - although yours looks reasonably level in the pics. Your lift will be over and above that. I did my lift on the cheap - Gabriel Safari shocks / Camils in front / add-a-leaf at the rear: and never had a problem. Che...

Friday, April 15th 2016, 4:49pm

Besonderse sonsondergang.

Somewhere in the Kruger....

Friday, April 15th 2016, 4:29pm

Diesel Thirsty Fortuner

Well, JakesGWW - that is really poor fuel consumption. Beware - a chip does not AUTOMATICALLY mean better conumption. There are variable settings in many of them - e.g. Race Chip- and that can make a huge difference. When I fitted such a chip to my new 2013 D4D, transferred from an older model, the consumption immediately worsened by 10%. I tried various chip settings and it has now gone the other way - 10% better. Incidentally, that leads me to believe that Toyota is making subtle changes to th...

Friday, April 15th 2016, 4:20pm

Back after long silence.

Congrats. That is an awesome vehicle, I still miss mine..... If yours has never been offroad, just do some gentle testing of the 4x4 / low range / diff lock controls. They are vacuum operated in some areas around the front axle, and the fittings do tend to deteriorate with age. Nothing that cannot be fixed, but you need to know what is happening beneath you. Apart from that they are bullet proof - and easily fixable.Take a deep breath if you want to change the spark plugs though.... :-)

Sunday, April 10th 2016, 8:51am

Footwell lights

I installed LED footwell lghts. Makes a long night drive more pleasant.

Thursday, April 7th 2016, 8:48am

Ball joint removal tool

I have used one of these 'cheapies' for many years. Combined with heat - and that really can work wonders if you apply it diligently - it does the job. Also give the joint a darn good whack with a hammer to send a shockwave through the metal before you start to split it. I imagine I got the tooI at Midas or Autozone decades ago..... For effective heating, I try to set up the torch on a box or a stand and let it play constantly on the joint for about 5 minutes. (Don't tell the safety officer! - b...