You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-20 of 60.

Thursday, September 13th 2018, 11:09am

Author: jhcolclough

2012 vs new Fortuner

5 Months ago traded our 2006 3D 4*4 Fortuner in with 330 000 km on clock, 13 countries visited (as far as Rwanda) with great reluctance. Bought the new 2.8 Auto 4*4 and have not looked back. Been for 2 weeks in Central Kalahari and just got back from 5 weeks via Zimbabwe (Mana) to Zambia (South Luangwa) to Tete (Mozambique) and then down the coast to Villancuos, Xai Xai beach, Beline, Pont D'Ouro and back to CT via the Golden Gate. Cannot believe how much easier and comfortable the new Fortuner ...

Thursday, December 14th 2017, 2:34pm

Mains into back of Tuner?

Could try a marine shop - specifically a Yachting chandler for water proof units.

Sunday, October 8th 2017, 6:09pm

Shark fin aerial on 2016/17 and roof rack

Weskus Tuna - Have a look on the Frontrunner web site. There are racks that attach onto the Fortuner rails but these have a limited weight allowance but easy to remove. I removed the Fortuner rails (easy, there is a video on you tube) and the rooofrack feet then bolt into the existing bolt holes. Hope this helps.

Sunday, October 8th 2017, 10:23am

Extra diesel tank

The 42l only fits the older style Fortuners and is an absolute must if travelling. With Jerry cans on the roof be very careful as the mounting bracket on our Frontrunner rack broke over time and the Fortuner roof then split open.

Sunday, October 8th 2017, 10:18am

This was the answer from Frontrunner when I asked if my current Slimline MK11 rack would fit the new Fortuner and current 42l extra fuel tank. " Jay Jay (Front Runner) Sep 28, 08:42 CEST Hi John Thank you for your interest in Front Runner. The new Fortuner uses the same size roof rack but the mounting system has changed. Which I do sell separately. Unfortunately, the fuel tank won't fit as we are not doing an auxiliary fuel tank for the New Fortuner. Please advise if you require any additional i...

Friday, October 6th 2017, 4:20pm

Anyone fitted a roof rack (Frontrunner type) on the new Fortuner. Is there any problem with space and does the rack when loaded affect the aerial. Thanks

Saturday, March 4th 2017, 1:47pm

Check roof rack mountings

If you put heavy loading on the roof (like double fuel tanks) you must regularly check the mounting brackets. We did an extensive trip through Africa and when returned found a large crack in the Fortuner roof. Was caused by the roof rack mounting breaking and the whole roof rack then flexed the roof causing the crack. Welded the mounting bracket and no problems.

Monday, December 26th 2016, 12:27pm

Plug Aux into Fortuner standard radio

Quoted from "Gizmo" Buy the one from 4x4direct. Has the option of SD, USB or AUX. Works like a cd changer. http://www.4x4direct.co.za/hoc-products-…verso-p-780.htm Still have a CD stuck in the radio... I think I have 2 CD's stuck - how did you get them out.

Wednesday, October 5th 2016, 11:43am

Burnt out Fortuner on road from Nossob to Mabuasehube

Thanks for all the input. Makes one wake up again and check often.

Tuesday, September 27th 2016, 4:24pm

Stekel it Looks like the same one but is now very rusted and missing some metal. I assumed a Fortuner due to roof racks. Could have been grass as I had a problem on the Garagab road with a net. Grass gets in between the two radiator sections from below. On recent trips I have positioned the grass net further under to prevent this.

Monday, September 26th 2016, 12:01pm

The road from Nossob to Mabua is well used with little to no grass on middle mannetjie so probably not a grass fire.

Thursday, September 22nd 2016, 6:57pm

Was in Mabuasehube last week and on road to Nossob from Mapaya came across a burnt out Fortuner. Totally destroyed. Was wondering if anyone knew what happened as garage attendant at Nossob just said it was an electrical problem. Would be good to know what went wrong so we can check our Fortuner.

Friday, July 1st 2016, 2:16pm

What GPS?

Have used a Garmin Nuvi 2497 LMT for 3 years with T4A and links to computer where I use Basecamp to plan trips. Have been right up to Ruanda last year and just spent 5 weeks in Kaokoland. One option is to look at the bigger screen version if available.

Tuesday, October 6th 2015, 3:08pm

Bush Mechanic's Course - is there such a thing

Not a bad idea but looking at a more practical course that teaches you what to do if things go wrong and how to bush repair them. I was lucky I had Bennie Bester at the same camp site in Kigoma who showed me what to do to change the link arm etc. Would have had to call a flat bed to tow the vehicle at great costs but Bennie showed me there was a simple solution although temporary till I got to a garage/mechanic. Could be an interesting small business.

Tuesday, October 6th 2015, 12:39pm

Bush Mechanic's Course - is there such a thing

Recently in Malawi met a couple from UK on a 1 year trip and they had done a 2 day basic mechanics course using their vehicle before leaving for Africa. Having had a few problems on recent trip - ended up using black plastic bags with cable ties to protect universal joints on drive shaft - would be interested in anyone who has done this or does this as a business. I am in Cape Town but sure others would be interested a round the country.

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 4:38pm

Africa Trip June 2015- 7 Countries, 3 Months, 18 800km – Central Mozambique August 2015

The road from Ilha de Mocambique south was good until Sofala province. First through Nampala where we stocked up at Shoprite. On the way out T4A took us across railway but this is wrong, just keep on tar. Along the way were stopped by military – very pleasant and asked if we can give a lift to one of their guys. As they could see our back seat empty and also knew where we were going we agreed. The next 6 hours was very quiet as the policeman could not speak English and we had minimal Portuguese....

Tuesday, September 29th 2015, 1:15pm

Africa Trip June 2015- 7 Countries, 3 Months, 18 800km – Northern Mozambique July 2015

Clearing the border at Mandima was easy – we actually had to help allot of people fill in the forms as they had no pen or capability. Filled in our own TIP and no payment. The road to Lichinga was rutted and potholed but we arrived early afternoon. Could not find Quinta Camp and ended up at Residencial 2+1 opposite the Barclays Bank. I then went off to get money and after 2 ½ hours queuing at Barclays & Standard eventually got cash – Robyn at this stage was in a bit of a panic. The restaurant wa...

Saturday, September 26th 2015, 4:40pm

Africa Trip June 2015- 7 Countries, 3 Months, 18 800km – Malawi Mulange, Liwonde 20 - 26 July 2015

We just decided to go. Both resigned from jobs, sons off to varsity and sold big house. We are now on our 2nd "gap year" but are so happy we got going. Too often the other travelers we saw were just too old to do allot of the things we did.

Saturday, September 26th 2015, 12:58pm

Africa Trip June 2015- 7 Countries, 3 Months, 18 800km – Malawi Mulange, Liwonde 20 - 26 July 2015

We were very happy to be leaving Lilongwe. Picked up the car at Toyota, took it back as brake calliper and not been bolted tight, and headed for Mulange Mountain. As we were delayed decided to stop over at Dedza Pottery & Lodge. They make beautiful pottery, have a good restaurant but camping again on a lawn with poor donkey boiler. The drive to Mulange passes through Blantyre which is allot nicer than Lilongwe but reminded us that large towns take allot longer to get through than one expects. Ap...

Tuesday, September 22nd 2015, 4:26pm

Africa Trip June 2015- 7 Countries, 3 Months, 18 800km – Lake Malawi 11-19 July 2015

After a stressful drive from Ruaha, roads good but busses, trucks etc. keep you on your toes, arrived at Kasumulu border post – just drive through crowds trying to stop you and through the boom – cleared Tanzania quickly and through to Malawi. What a pleasant change in attitude. There is an ATM at the border so could get cash. Unfortunately the power went out so had to wait a good 1 ½ to get TIP – customs specifically kept the border open for us. It was now dark so first camping spot we could fi...